POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:26:09 EDT (-0400)
  US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity (Message 49 to 58 of 98)
From: Neeum Zawan
Subject: Re: US Patent System, now with 20% less stupidity
Date: 13 Jul 2009 10:27:49
Message: <4a5b4465@news.povray.org>
On 07/13/09 07:09, Warp wrote:
> Neeum Zawan<m.n### [at] ieeeorg>  wrote:
>>          Were those mods technically illegal? Valve hadn't given permission in
>> general to make mods?
>
>    I think that if Valve had wanted, they could have prohibited all mods of
> their game. It's not unprecedent.

	Yes, but what I'm asking is did they give explicit permission before
those mods were released, or did they simply accept them after the fact?

--
AAHH!!! I've deleted all my RAM!

Post a reply to this message

From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 13 Jul 2009 10:29:53
Message: <4a5b44e1@news.povray.org>
On 07/13/09 07:14, Warp wrote:
> Neeum Zawan<m.n### [at] ieeeorg>  wrote:
>> On 07/12/09 22:14, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> Even the Associated Press is asserting their copyright over *news*
>>> materials.  It's ridiculous.
>
>>          That's different, and perhaps misleading. While I agree the AP is being
>> unreasonable in what they're saying, they're complaining about the
>> copyright of the content, not of the events. Someone took the trouble to
>> draft that article, etc.
>
>    You can't copy a news article written by someone else verbatim. However,
> you can certainly write your own article in your own words describing the
> same event. You can even use short verbatim citations from the original
> article if you want (as long as you clearly mark them as such).

	Yes, and AP isn't going after people for doing the former (writing in
own words). They were saying others shouldn't link to their content or
post extracts (your second point), claiming that fair use doesn't apply.

--
AAHH!!! I've deleted all my RAM!

Post a reply to this message

Neeum Zawan <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
> On 07/13/09 07:09, Warp wrote:
> > Neeum Zawan<m.n### [at] ieeeorg>  wrote:
> >>          Were those mods technically illegal? Valve hadn't given permission in
> >> general to make mods?
> >
> >    I think that if Valve had wanted, they could have prohibited all mods of
> > their game. It's not unprecedent.

>         Yes, but what I'm asking is did they give explicit permission before
> those mods were released, or did they simply accept them after the fact?

  I don't know, but given that modding of FPS games is quite hard without
explicit support from the game, I'd say they supported modding from the
start (similarly to how, for example, Id Software has always done).

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message