POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:28:02 EDT (-0400)
  An example of confirmation bias? (Message 250 to 259 of 279)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: An example of confirmation bias?
Date: 12 Jul 2009 02:04:22
Message: <4a597ce6$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> I think the difference is significant. "I don't know" implies that you
> can still look for an answer, whereas "I can't know" means that the
> search ended. The former means that you are open to suggestions from
> others who claim that they know more, whereas the latter is a sound
> basis to build your own ethics.
> I don't like the "I don't care".

On the contrary, how is "I can't know" a grounds to build anything? You
can't know if the people in the next tribe are like you, so kill them,
in case they are not? You can't know if blacks are as smart as whites,
but they seem pretty dumb now, so why bother finding out? There are a
lot of seriously sick and stupid things you can come up with based on "I
can't know X". Saying, "I don't know", in humbling, and demands you
consider that a) you could be wrong, and b) an answer is **worth**
looking for. Every single case of horror in history has stemmed from
either people that said, "I can't know this, so will just keep doing
what I was doing.", or, "I do know with absolute certainty this, so the
universe, and the people in it, must conform to what I 'know'."

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {