POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random hat size question Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:28:08 EDT (-0400)
  Random hat size question (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Kevin Wampler
Subject: Random hat size question
Date: 1 Jul 2009 02:01:04
Message: <4a4afba0$1@news.povray.org>
For entirely boring reasons, I was looking at the table of hat size
conversions appropriately located at http://hatsizes.com/

I used a simple regression to reverse engineer the equation from this
table, and it seems to be:

US_size = circumference_inches / pi + 0.037

So, the division by pi makes sense to me, but does anyone have any idea
where the + 0.037 comes from?

Post a reply to this message

> So, the division by pi makes sense to me, but does anyone have any idea
> where the + 0.037 comes from?

Rounding?

--
Chambers

Post a reply to this message

> So, the division by pi makes sense to me, but does anyone have any idea
> where the + 0.037 comes from?

Thickness of the hat? I.e., inside measurement vs outside measurement?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western

Post a reply to this message

> For entirely boring reasons, I was looking at the table of hat size
> conversions appropriately located at http://hatsizes.com/
>
> I used a simple regression to reverse engineer the equation from this
> table, and it seems to be:
>
> US_size = circumference_inches / pi + 0.037
>
> So, the division by pi makes sense to me, but does anyone have any idea
> where the + 0.037 comes from?

Minimum size of a human skull?

Circumference / pi is what we maths bods like to refer to as
"diammeter". So the hat size is the hat diammeter plus a small offset.
(What unit is that by the way? 0.037 inches?)

Post a reply to this message

> For entirely boring reasons, I was looking at the table of hat size
> conversions appropriately located at http://hatsizes.com/
>
> I used a simple regression to reverse engineer the equation from this
> table, and it seems to be:
>
> US_size = circumference_inches / pi + 0.037
>
> So, the division by pi makes sense to me, but does anyone have any idea
> where the + 0.037 comes from?

Maybe they allow for some hair in addition to the scull diameter (?)

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com

Post a reply to this message