POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dark visions Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:22:48 EDT (-0400)
  Dark visions (Message 11 to 20 of 22)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>
From: andrel
Subject: Re: Dark visions
Date: 22 Jun 2009 16:55:09
Message: <4A3FEFAE.9000902@hotmail.com>
On 22-6-2009 22:45, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>>>
>>> Indeed, it's an American film even... Critically acclaimed, but
>>> commercially less successful.
>>>
>>> There's one key word in that quotation that should be Googlable.
>>> (And, weirdly, it apparently exists in the real world as well as in
>>> this fictional one...)
>>>
>> Googling leads me to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISNz7lWAzd8
>> but the quote does not seem to crop up, al least not in the first few
>> minutes.
>
> Oh Jesus... It's, like, 45 minutes in or something! It's in the middle
> of the film!

It is just that I got the impression that it was how it started. For
reference to non-copyright sensitive people: 5 minutes 53 into
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsb9bPbI7PQ

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 22 Jun 2009 19:16:47
Message: <4a4010df@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> What film?

It's a Secret.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 22 Jun 2009 19:28:01
Message: <4a401381$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
>  5 minutes 53 into
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsb9bPbI7PQ

Oooo. A sparkly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C0vvrJ6J20&fmt=18#t=5m55s

From: Invisible
Date: 23 Jun 2009 04:22:02
Message: <4a4090aa$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> What film?
>
> It's a Secret.
>
>  > a place called NIMH

...which, worryingly, appears to actually exist...

Post a reply to this message

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 23 Jun 2009 04:51:06
Message: <4a40977a@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>>  5 minutes 53 into http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsb9bPbI7PQ
>

> Oooo. A sparkly!
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C0vvrJ6J20&fmt=18#t=5m55s

You know, this was the first of these links I actually opened. Add up
geeky mind, sparkly and NiMH (from the topic of the page, seen before
the film itself) and I expected something else than a cartoon ;).

-Aero

Post a reply to this message

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 23 Jun 2009 04:57:25
Message: <4a4098f5$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> A great movie, even if it does diverge drastically from the book, and
> even fail to completely make sense in places...

Is the book named the same or is it "Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH"?
If it's Mrs. Frisby..., I've red the book yeaaars ago.

-Aero

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 23 Jun 2009 04:59:55
Message: <4a40998b$1@news.povray.org>
>> A great movie, even if it does diverge drastically from the book, and
>> even fail to completely make sense in places...
>
> Is the book named the same or is it "Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH"?
> If it's Mrs. Frisby..., I've red the book yeaaars ago.

Yeah, that's the one.

Neat, isn't it?

Post a reply to this message

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 23 Jun 2009 05:05:42
Message: <4a409ae6@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> Yeah, that's the one.
>
> Neat, isn't it?

Yep, the main parts I can remember :). I think I'll need to see the film.

-Aero

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 23 Jun 2009 14:40:26
Message: <4a41219a@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Heh. OK, you may think it's silly and childish. But it's hard-wired into
> my memory. When I was a child, I used to watch it three or four times
> PER WEEK. (Remember, to a child, 5 minutes is like 17 lifetimes.) I've
> memorised every scene, every sentence of dialogue, every inflection in
> the character's voices, every note and neaunce of the score... This film
> is part of what makes Andrew... well, Andrew.
>
> (Or, arguably, part of what makes Andrew... suck.)

It's been a while since I've seen this film. I must watch it again, now :)

Definitely a favorite of mine. It was beautifully animated, IIRC.

I should read the book one of these days.

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 23 Jun 2009 14:41:49
Message: <4a4121ed@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> There's one key word in that quotation that should be Googlable. (And,
> weirdly, it apparently exists in the real world as well as in this
> fictional one...)

Yep. Upon discovering that, I remember thinking, "Oh my, it does exist!"

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>