POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Things that make you go hmm... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:12:50 EDT (-0400)
  Things that make you go hmm... (Message 21 to 23 of 23)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Things that make you go hmm...
Date: 11 Jun 2009 13:17:50
Message: <4a313c3e$1@news.povray.org>
>> I must admit, I've often wondered where the hell they got the money to
>> build Hubble, given that once it's built it generates no income...
>
> It's a tiny, tiny percentage of the cost of anything else. There's only
> one Hubble, so it can get pretty expensive before you have to worry
> about it becoming anywhere near "expensive" in government terms.

Are you saying Hubble is government-funded?

Why would they d-- oh, wait, they're a government. Silly me...

>> I'm not understanding what you're trying to say.
>
> I'm saying, how do you build a simulator and be sure the simulation is
> correct enough?

Compare it to one of the seventy-eight billion other simulators that
already exist?

>> I'm aware that there are lots of problems in science and mathematics
>> which are unsolved, but I was under the impression that things as
>> mundane as figuring out what shape a wing needs to be are not amoung
>> them.
>
> Figuring out how far away the detectors in the LHC have to be from the
> collision? Figuring out a good antenna shape for an 802.11x 397MBps
> wireless router? Figuring out the right shape for the wing of an orbital
> ship that's going to be coming back into the atmosphere at 35x the speed
> of sound?

Indeed. I would have expected these to all be solved problems.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Are you saying Hubble is government-funded?

I'm not sure, but I thought it was part of NASA, which is.

>> I'm saying, how do you build a simulator and be sure the simulation is
>> correct enough?
>
> Compare it to one of the seventy-eight billion other simulators that
> already exist?

You're assuming that how to do the simulation is already well known.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western

Post a reply to this message