POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting take on C++ vs others... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:27:09 EDT (-0400)
  Interesting take on C++ vs others... (Message 21 to 22 of 22)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Interesting take on C++ vs others...
Date: 4 Jun 2009 16:16:44
Message: <4a282bac$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> However, if Ocaml lacks such capabilities, that's hardly C++'s problem.

Indeed, I think that was specifically the point of the article in the first
place. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: nemesis
Date: 4 Jun 2009 16:34:48
Message: <4a282fe8$1@news.povray.org>
Warp escreveu:
> nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> Scala on the
>> JVM, outpacing OCaml.  That's what really stroke me as odd.
>
>   If the JVM performs JIT-compiling, I don't see the problem...

JIT-compiling doesn't beat g++ compiling in that benchmark, nor do I
understand quite why it should beat OCaml either -- the author mentions
poor OCaml float performance.

I'm not an OCaml programmer, which is why I asked Mr. Harrop for some
insight.  I only knew, based on more than one source, that it's capable
of very C++-like performance.  caught off-guard...

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9