POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Heavy metal Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:13:25 EDT (-0400)
  Heavy metal (Message 37 to 46 of 46)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Heavy metal
Date: 5 Jun 2009 11:45:50
Message: <4a293dae$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I'd hate to imagine how much a solid gold ring costs.

Gold rings aren't pure gold, or they'd bend very easily.

http://www.bullionjewelry.com/

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Invisible
Date: 5 Jun 2009 11:48:36
Message: <4a293e54$1@news.povray.org>
>> I'd hate to imagine how much a solid gold ring costs.
>
> Gold rings aren't pure gold, or they'd bend very easily.

Sure. But they'd never ever corrode. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 5 Jun 2009 12:32:10
Message: <4a29488a$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>>> I'd hate to imagine how much a solid gold ring costs.
>>
>> Gold rings aren't pure gold, or they'd bend very easily.
>
> Sure. But they'd never ever corrode. ;-)

Um, yes? So?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Paul Fuller
Date: 5 Jun 2009 22:42:18
Message: <4a29d78a@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> ...so a 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.1 mm block of this stuff costs £664, eh? That's
> pretty freakin' expensive, right there!

Not sure on your maths there.

A cube 1.1mm in a side has a volume of about 0.001331 cubic cm. A bit
over one thousandth of a cubic cm.

A cube 1.17cm (11.7mm) on a side would have a volume of approximately
1.6 cubic cm.  And that is about right for an ounce of gold.

Post a reply to this message

>> ...so a 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.1 mm block of this stuff costs £664, eh? That's
>> pretty freakin' expensive, right there!
>>

> Not sure on your maths there.
>
> A cube 1.1mm in a side has a volume of about 0.001331 cubic cm. A bit
> over one thousandth of a cubic cm.
>
> A cube 1.17cm (11.7mm) on a side would have a volume of approximately
> 1.6 cubic cm.  And that is about right for an ounce of gold.

Oh, OK. I misread the unit on the printout. Well that's a rather larger
lump of gold then. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

Wolfram was clueless, but wikipedia says it's 91.x% gold, so weighs 1.09 oz.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)