POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : XKCD for the win Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:15:38 EDT (-0400)
  XKCD for the win (Message 1 to 10 of 27)
From: Darren New
Subject: XKCD for the win
Date: 27 May 2009 22:08:17
Message: <4a1df211$1@news.povray.org>
Has anyone noticed that youtube comments now have an "audio preview" button
next to them that will read your comment out loud before you post it?
--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: XKCD for the win
Date: 28 May 2009 00:02:34
Message: <4a1e0cda$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 27 May 2009 19:08:16 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Has anyone noticed that youtube comments now have an "audio preview"
> button next to them that will read your comment out loud before you post
> it?

Yep, that was added several months ago. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>> Has anyone noticed that youtube comments now have an "audio preview"
>> button next to them that will read your comment out loud before you post
>> it?
>
> Yep, that was added several months ago. :-)

...is this like the one where somebody says "did you know they've taken
'gulible' out of the dictionary?"?

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 28 May 2009 09:22:09 +0100, Invisible wrote:

>>> Has anyone noticed that youtube comments now have an "audio preview"
>>> button next to them that will read your comment out loud before you
>>> post it?
>>
>> Yep, that was added several months ago. :-)
>
> ...is this like the one where somebody says "did you know they've taken
> 'gulible' out of the dictionary?"?

No, this one is actually in place.  You have to sign in, but I tried it,
the text-to-speech wasn't half bad. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>>> Yep, that was added several months ago. :-)
>> ...is this like the one where somebody says "did you know they've taken
>> 'gulible' out of the dictionary?"?
>
> No, this one is actually in place.  You have to sign in, but I tried it,
> the text-to-speech wasn't half bad. :-)

1. Hmm, OK. So the PC finally has text-to-speach capabilities, a
facility that the Amiga had 15 years ago. Interesting.

2. OMG, *why* did they implement this in YouTube? That's just silly!

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> 1. Hmm, OK. So the PC finally has text-to-speach capabilities, a
> facility that the Amiga had 15 years ago. Interesting.

  You can't be seriously claiming that you have never heard of any
text-to-speech software for the PC before this.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 28 May 2009 18:08:10 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> ...is this like the one where somebody says "did you know they've
>>> taken 'gulible' out of the dictionary?"?
>>
>> No, this one is actually in place.  You have to sign in, but I tried
>> it, the text-to-speech wasn't half bad. :-)
>
> 1. Hmm, OK. So the PC finally has text-to-speach capabilities, a
> facility that the Amiga had 15 years ago. Interesting.

PCs have had TTS capabilities for a long time.  I'm talking about the TTS
that YouTube uses.

> 2. OMG, *why* did they implement this in YouTube? That's just silly!

Ostensibly the reason that was put forth in the XKCD cartoon about it -
that it would let people know how stupid their comments sounded before
they posted them.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> 1. Hmm, OK. So the PC finally has text-to-speach capabilities, a
> facility that the Amiga had 15 years ago. Interesting.

never heard of Dr Sbaitso?

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

> 1. Hmm, OK. So the PC finally has text-to-speach capabilities, a
> facility that the Amiga had 15 years ago. Interesting.

Actually, microsoft has had text to speech for a long time built in to their
assistive technologies. That is to say, Windows came with a screen reader a
long time ago.

"This is aMEEga speeeeking."

http://blag.xkcd.com/2008/10/08/youtube-audio-preview/