POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Rewards Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Rewards (Message 31 to 40 of 46)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 6 Messages >>>
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Rewards
Date: 27 May 2009 03:59:29
Message: <4a1cf2e1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Grocery stores have facilities for storing enough tea to sink a ship.
>
> Except they don't, they have the absolute minimum storage to keep the
> shops in-stock.  Any additional storage is wasted money, not just
> because of the building costs, but because the product could be cash
> instead, earning money in the bank.  Ever heard of Just In Time business?
>
> Where I used to work, even if a truck turned up an hour early to deliver
> stuff (which they knew they couldn't, they usually waited in the street)
> it sometimes wouldn't even be possible to unload because there would be
> no empty slots in the warehouse.

What a remarkably inefficient way to do business...

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 27 May 2009 04:25:54
Message: <4a1cf912@news.povray.org>
>> Except they don't, they have the absolute minimum storage to keep the
>> shops in-stock.  Any additional storage is wasted money, not just because
>> of the building costs, but because the product could be cash instead,
>> earning money in the bank.  Ever heard of Just In Time business?
>>
>> Where I used to work, even if a truck turned up an hour early to deliver
>> stuff (which they knew they couldn't, they usually waited in the street)
>> it sometimes wouldn't even be possible to unload because there would be
>> no empty slots in the warehouse.
>
> What a remarkably inefficient way to do business...

You have a more profitable idea?  Specifying exact delivery times, to within
+/- 15 minutes is quite common for large factories.  Do you have any idea
how much raw material a large manufacturing site can get through?  Where I
worked there were *always* about 3 or 4 trucks delivering material, and
10-20 being filled simulatenously with finished goods.  It is simply too
expensive to store enough material and arrange the logistics if you allow
deliveries to turn up at any time during the day.

Even at my small local supermarket they seem to know exactly when the
deliveries will be made (they put out cones around the area the truck has to
reverse).

Post a reply to this message

>> What a remarkably inefficient way to do business...
>
> You have a more profitable idea?  Specifying exact delivery times, to
> within +/- 15 minutes is quite common for large factories.  Do you have
> any idea how much raw material a large manufacturing site can get
> through?  Where I worked there were *always* about 3 or 4 trucks
> delivering material, and 10-20 being filled simulatenously with finished
> goods.  It is simply too expensive to store enough material and arrange
> the logistics if you allow deliveries to turn up at any time during the
> day.
>
> Even at my small local supermarket they seem to know exactly when the
> deliveries will be made (they put out cones around the area the truck
> has to reverse).

This doesn't seem to tally with my experience at all. Most shops will
tell you an item is out of stock and they typically have *no idea* when
it will be back in stock. Or they promise it will be back in on date X,
and it isn't, and then they promise date Y, and it doesn't, and then
they say a delivery is coming in on date Z, but then they say it hasn't
come in... You start to wonder how they manage to do business at all!

But anyway, while I can imagine a factory being able to predict how much
raw materials they need on a given day, predicting exactly how many tins
of baked beans you're going to sell today is obviously impossible. You
can estimate it of course, but you cannot possibly predict it exactly.
And if your prediction is too low, you have an empty shelf. This,
presumably, is commercial suicide.

Similarly, according to your scheme, if one delivery truck gets a flat
tire, or makes a wrong turn, or drives to the wrong store, or makes any
one of a million other simple mistakes, empty shelves result. Surely
this is no way to do business.

Post a reply to this message