POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : File name dilemma Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:17:47 EDT (-0400)
  File name dilemma (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Paul Fuller
Subject: Re: File name dilemma
Date: 24 May 2009 10:56:27
Message: <4a19601b$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Yes to all that. I don't even know of any existing hierarchical
> databases *other* than UNIX-style file systems.

Well IBM IMS is still around.  I don't have any stats on it but there
are still banks and possibly airlines with core systems that run happily
on it.

XML is also quite hierarchical in nature.  Of course it can be used in
different ways but often it is just a tree structure with tags possibly
at different levels.

Not sure what to make of the likes of Hadoop and Big Table yet.  I have
the impression that they are more distributed file systems that offer
some aspects of distributed DBMS - either hierarchical, relational or
whatever else you care to put on top of them.

Post a reply to this message