POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's the Question that drives us Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:14:00 EDT (-0400)
  It's the Question that drives us (Message 11 to 20 of 23)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 3 Messages >>>
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: It's the Question that drives us
Date: 20 May 2009 14:31:13
Message: <4a144c71$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 20 May 2009 19:16:04 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> Oh God... "factal"? WTF?
>>
>> Hey, now, you need to stop picking on Andy for his spelling
>> mistakes...he REALLY doesn't like that. ;-)
>
> I wonder if a factal is something like a factoid? I think this might
> class as one.

That could well be. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 20 May 2009 14:49:54
Message: <4a1450d2$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson escreveu:
> On Wed, 20 May 2009 19:10:02 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>
>> nemesis wrote:
>>> Fractals are pretty pop.  They are mentioned in Hollywood flicks once
>>> in a while, and I guess most people associate it with chaotic patterns
>>> or something.
>> Oh God... "factal"? WTF?
>
> Hey, now, you need to stop picking on Andy for his spelling mistakes...he
> REALLY doesn't like that. ;-)

You know I didn't even notice? :P

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 20 May 2009 14:54:33
Message: <4a1451e9$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 20 May 2009 15:49:54 -0300, nemesis wrote:

> Jim Henderson escreveu:

>>> Oh God... "factal"? WTF?
>>
>> Hey, now, you need to stop picking on Andy for his spelling
>> mistakes...he REALLY doesn't like that. ;-)
>
> You know I didn't even notice? :P

I did - but I didn't say anything.  My first thought was actually
something along the lines of what he said in response. ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Reactor
Date: 20 May 2009 18:30:00
Message: <web.4a1483f2a394707e516b9e590@news.povray.org>
> >> Oh God... "factal"? WTF?
> >
> > Hey, now, you need to stop picking on Andy for his spelling mistakes...he
> > REALLY doesn't like that. ;-)
>
> I wonder if a factal is something like a factoid? I think this might
> class as one.
>
> --
> http://blog.orphi.me.uk/
> http://www.zazzle.com/MathematicalOrchid*

I looked up 'factal' in Werriam-Mebster's Dictionary, a dictionary that is
extraordinarily similar to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary except fictional (also
legally distinct from and not affiliated with Merriam-Webster).

As it turns out, factal is in there:

Main Entry:

Pronunciation:
    \ˈfak-təl\
Function:
    noun
Etymology:
    French factale, from Latin factus boken, uneven (past participle of fangere
to beak) + French -ale -al (noun suffix)
Date:
    1975

1. FRACTAL [link]
2. alternate spelling for FACTYL, a widely abused abbreviation for 'fat dactyl'
3. a factoid, esp. a factoid about fractals.

Post a reply to this message

Well, I sat down and wrote a 5-page email explaining exactly what I was
up to. Twice. But in the end, I sent an email that just contained a
picture. The reply that came back was "well, all I can say is that it is
very pretty". LOL!

Post a reply to this message

> Well, I sat down and wrote a 5-page email explaining exactly what I was
> up to. Twice. But in the end, I sent an email that just contained a
> picture. The reply that came back was "well, all I can say is that it is
> very pretty". LOL!

Good decision. Never explain a work of art.

Post a reply to this message

>> Well, I sat down and wrote a 5-page email explaining exactly what I
>> was up to. Twice. But in the end, I sent an email that just contained
>> a picture. The reply that came back was "well, all I can say is that
>> it is very pretty". LOL!
>
> Good decision. Never explain a work of art.

Is the output of a mathematical equation "art"?

Discuss. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

> >> Well, I sat down and wrote a 5-page email explaining exactly what I
> >> was up to. Twice. But in the end, I sent an email that just contained
> >> a picture. The reply that came back was "well, all I can say is that
> >> it is very pretty". LOL!
> >
> > Good decision. Never explain a work of art.
>
> Is the output of a mathematical equation "art"?
>
> Discuss. ;-)

If it generates emotion then it could be. IMO

And unless you want to bore the tits off a Muggle never ever say anything like

Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> Is the output of a mathematical equation "art"?

The output of a mathematical equation is more mathematical equations. The
art comes between the doing the math and the generating sensory input for
humans to consume.

Would it still be art if you made the program output into a spreadsheet?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

>> Is the output of a mathematical equation "art"?
>
> The output of a mathematical equation is more mathematical equations.
> The art comes between the doing the math and the generating sensory
> input for humans to consume.
>
> Would it still be art if you made the program output into a spreadsheet?

If you had a spreadsheet generating this output the changes would be a
bit higher, then it could pass as conceptual art.

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 3 Messages >>>