POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Frustration and sudden distraction Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:24:33 EDT (-0400)
  Frustration and sudden distraction (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Tim Cook
Subject: Frustration and sudden distraction
Date: 11 May 2009 19:41:49
Message: <4a08b7bd$1@news.povray.org>
First, the frustration: I downloaded a torrent, available on several
sites, of "46,000 oil paintings of Western Masters".   All well and
good, except...

It's basically a site rip of http://www.classicartpaintings.com/
...which is broadly sorted into three categories:  artist sorted by
FIRST NAME, artist clumped vaguely by country (not very accurately, if
you actually look them up), and 'miscellaneous'.  But many had, nicely,
(born-died) as part of the folder/file name.  So I decided to add that
info to as much of what's in the collection and what I already had as
possible, while organizing everything consistently

(Distraction!)

by artist family name and entering all the data in a spreadsheet, since
it's a bit unwieldy just grouped by alpha, so I'll see if it's practical
to also arrange by country of origin or time period or...wait...time
period?  Art style!  Oh great.  Now I have to look up everything I'd
already entered...and I need to make sure there aren't any duplicates
images...so I've barely even scratched the surface of this undertaking.
  Especially since I've only got the artist-by-name section organised
(but not fully indexed in my spreadsheet).

It turns out someone cleaned up the contents of the torrent, got rid of
bad data (it had some garbled files) and some duplicates, dropping the
total image count by 2,000, but I didn't find out until after I'd
started my own cleaning, and I don't know how far they went with it.  If
I ever finish this, I should torrent it myself.

I know the forensics team analysing my desktop isn't doing nearly as
much, but they (assuming plurality) have over five times the data to
look through and they aren't going to be spending as much time per day
as I've been, lately... things look bad for me ever seeing those
computers again, even in the best of circumstances.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net

Post a reply to this message

I like how they said the problem with Deus Ex 2 was the small levels
leading to frequent loading screens.

> I know the forensics team analysing my desktop isn't doing nearly as
> much, but they (assuming plurality) have over five times the data to
> look through and they aren't going to be spending as much time per day
> as I've been, lately... things look bad for me ever seeing those
> computers again, even in the best of circumstances.

Wait, what?

--
...Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com