POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : funny history of programming languages Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:26:35 EDT (-0400)
  funny history of programming languages (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: nemesis
Subject: funny history of programming languages
Date: 8 May 2009 16:19:25
Message: <4a0493cd@news.povray.org>
http://james-iry.blogspot.com/2009/05/brief-incomplete-and-mostly-wrong.html

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9

Post a reply to this message

From: somebody
Subject: Re: funny history of programming languages
Date: 8 May 2009 17:24:23
Message: <4a04a307$1@news.povray.org>
"nemesis" <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message

http://james-iry.blogspot.com/2009/05/brief-incomplete-and-mostly-wrong.html

Gross omission of APL...

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 26 Jun 2009 09:04:08
Message: <4a44c748$1@news.povray.org>
"1842 - Ada Lovelace writes the first program. She is hampered in her
efforts by the minor inconvenience that she doesn't have any actual
computers to run her code. Enterprise architects will later relearn her
techniques in order to program in UML."

LOL.

"This criticism occurs in spite of the fact that C has not yet been
invented."

Hmm... how true.

"Lisp remains an influential language in 'key algorithmic techniques
such as recursion and condescension'."

That would by funny if it wasn't true. ;-)

popular by not having them."

ROFL. WIN!

"1972 - Dennis Ritchie invents a powerful gun that shoots both forward
and backward simultaneously. Not satisfied with the number of deaths and
permanent maimings from that invention he invents C and Unix."

0wned.

"1972 - Alain Colmerauer designs the logic language Prolog. His goal is
to create a language with the intelligence of a two year old. He proves
he has reached his goal by showing a Prolog session that says "No." to
every query."

THIS IS THE WIN!

"Look, it's all objects all the way down. Until you reach turtles."

...WTF?

"1987 - Larry Wall falls asleep and hits Larry Wall's forehead on the
keyboard. Upon waking Larry Wall decides that the string of characters
on Larry Wall's monitor isn't random but an example program in a
programming language that God wants His prophet, Larry Wall, to design.
Perl is born."

I *knew* it!

"1990 - A committee formed by Simon Peyton-Jones, Paul Hudak, Philip
Wadler, Ashton Kutcher, and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
creates Haskell, a pure, non-strict, functional language. Haskell gets
some resistance due to the complexity of using monads to control side
effects."

...which is interesting, given that monads were added about a decade
after the language itself was specified. :-P

"A monad is a monoid in the category of endofunctors, what's the problem?"

I can believe that. *sigh*

Post a reply to this message

> "Look, it's all objects all the way down. Until you reach turtles."
>
> ...WTF?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down

Post a reply to this message

>> "Look, it's all objects all the way down. Until you reach turtles."
>>
>> ...WTF?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down

...and now I'm even more astonished and baffled...

Post a reply to this message

>>> "Look, it's all objects all the way down. Until you reach turtles."
>>>
>>> ...WTF?
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down
>
> ...and now I'm even more astonished and baffled...

why? because you didn't know you were supposed to know that story?

Post a reply to this message

>> ...and now I'm even more astonished and baffled...
>
> why? because you didn't know you were supposed to know that story?

Because the story is just bemusing.