POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Antique Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:24:46 EDT (-0400)
  Antique (Message 11 to 20 of 40)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Unique Antique
Date: 22 Apr 2009 06:43:43
Message: <49eef4df@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> - Board B has less writing printed on it between the two RAM chips. The
> actual components mounted there appear identical, but just fewer markings.

Wrong. Actually there are slightly more components on board A and C (the
"rev:3" boards).

BTW, what *are* those absurdly tiny 2-pin devices scattered all over the
board? Resisters? Many of them have labels printed on the board such as
"R7". But a few are labelled "C13" or similar...

Post a reply to this message

> BTW, what *are* those absurdly tiny 2-pin devices scattered all over the
> board? Resisters? Many of them have labels printed on the board such as
> "R7". But a few are labelled "C13" or similar...

Yes, take a wild guess what R and C stand for :-)

Post a reply to this message

> BTW, what *are* those absurdly tiny 2-pin devices scattered all over the
> board?

  Wouldn't you be referring to surface-mount resistors?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> BTW, what *are* those absurdly tiny 2-pin devices scattered all over
>> the board? Resisters? Many of them have labels printed on the board
>> such as "R7". But a few are labelled "C13" or similar...
>
> Yes, take a wild guess what R and C stand for :-)

I was under the impression that capacitors have to be of a specific
physical size in order to have the correct capacitance...

Post a reply to this message

> I was under the impression that capacitors have to be of a specific
> physical size in order to have the correct capacitance...

  It's all about total surface area. If you pack tons of really thin
surfaces really close to each other in a layered fashion, you can get
a surprisingly large surface area inside a surprisingly small volume.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>>> BTW, what *are* those absurdly tiny 2-pin devices scattered all over
>>> the board? Resisters? Many of them have labels printed on the board
>>> such as "R7". But a few are labelled "C13" or similar...
>>
>> Yes, take a wild guess what R and C stand for :-)
>
> I was under the impression that capacitors have to be of a specific
> physical size in order to have the correct capacitance...
depends on what the correct capacitance is. On a board that runs at a
high frequency I expect some very tiny ones.

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 22 Apr 2009 07:09:38
Message: <49EEFAF1.2080604@hotmail.com>
On 22-4-2009 13:05, Warp wrote:
> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>> I was under the impression that capacitors have to be of a specific
>> physical size in order to have the correct capacitance...
>
>   It's all about total surface area.
and the width and composition of the insulator layers.

From: scott
Date: 22 Apr 2009 07:11:30
Message: <49eefb62@news.povray.org>
> I was under the impression that capacitors have to be of a specific
> physical size in order to have the correct capacitance...

Within reason, yes. I suspect they can manufacture a range of values for
each package size.

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 22 Apr 2009 07:14:16
Message: <49eefc08@news.povray.org>
Le 22.04.2009 12:37, Invisible nous fit lire :
> The Holtek chips say "HT27C512-70" followed by a number that's unique to
> each chip. Apparently this part number is a "OTP CMOS 64K x 8-Bit EPROM".
>
> http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/64437/HOLTEK/HT27C512.html
>
> "The HT27C512 chip family is a low-power, 512K bit, +5V electrically
> one-time programmable (OTP) read-only memories (EPROM)."
>
> Um, wouldn't that make it a PROM rather than an EPROM? The E is for
> *erasible*. :-P

it is erasable.
E from EPROM is erasable programmable (EP).
first E from EEPROM is electrically.
EPROM are erased with UV-light. EEPROM are erased electrically.
Now, if the packaging has no window (cheaper), the EPROM become a OTP EPROM...
a PROM is using fuse, so technically they are different.

But at the core, it's still an EPROM... that packaging does not allow to erase.
(how do you like your marketing text ?)

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 22 Apr 2009 07:19:45
Message: <49eefd51$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> I was under the impression that capacitors have to be of a specific
>> physical size in order to have the correct capacitance...
>
> Within reason, yes. I suspect they can manufacture a range of values for
> each package size.

Mmm, OK.

So my next question is... why does a digital device require so many
millions of resisters and capacitors?

(Maybe millions is an exaggeration, but there sure is a lot of them
here... Big ones, tiny ones... I assume the tiny ones *must* be mounted
by machine?)