POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Weekly calibration Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:18:59 EDT (-0400)
  Weekly calibration (Message 1 to 10 of 106)
From: Invisible
Subject: Weekly calibration
Date: 20 Apr 2009 10:47:37
Message: <49ec8b09$1@news.povray.org>
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/3013959.stm

WTF-O-Meter: 2.8

Post a reply to this message

From: Bill Pragnell
Subject: Re: Weekly calibration
Date: 20 Apr 2009 11:05:00
Message: <web.49ec8e2eb9c54b936dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/3013959.stm
>
> WTF-O-Meter: 2.8

Ha!

"The work was interesting but had little scientific value, except to show that
the 'infinite monkey' theory is flawed."

I love it. Flawed, as in he thinks nobody had ever noticed that an infinite
number of monkeys would be difficult to arrange? Or does he really think that
infinity can be approximated by eight? And whoever said it was a theory in the
first place? :-D

Although to be honest, this wtf is probably as much lazy reporting by the BBC as
anything said or done by those supposedly involved...

Post a reply to this message

> "The work was interesting but had little scientific value, except to show that
> the 'infinite monkey' theory is flawed."
>
> I love it. Flawed, as in he thinks nobody had ever noticed that an infinite
> number of monkeys would be difficult to arrange? Or does he really think that
> infinity can be approximated by eight? And whoever said it was a theory in the
> first place? :-D

Well, let's face it, the theory really states that the probability of a
string of random text containing the works of Shakespear approaches
unity as the length of the string approaches infinity. Which actually
has nothing to do with monkeys, really. Monkeys don't type statistically
uncorrelated letters. They bash keys. The text thus far produced is
anything but statistically random!

> Although to be honest, this wtf is probably as much lazy reporting by the BBC as
> anything said or done by those supposedly involved...

My personal favourit is the quote about this being cheaper and more
entertaining than reality TV. ;-)

Post a reply to this message