POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:16:17 EDT (-0400)
  The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives (Message 81 to 90 of 140)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives
Date: 21 Apr 2009 12:26:48
Message: <49edf3c8$1@news.povray.org>
Mueen Nawaz wrote:
> 	I don't like what the ISP's may be planning, but I can't find a good
> legal or constitutional argument against it

Look under "common carrier". If you start filtering, then you're responsible
for what you pass on. If you decide to filter bittorrent because it might be
copyright violation, you become responsible for that violation. If you
filter content but don't block child porn,  you become responsible for
distributing child porn if you miss any. This is how the phone company
avoids being convicted of conspiracy when two drug dealers make a deal over
the phone.

Freedom from such responsibility (in the US at least) comes with some rules,
like being required to offer everyone the same service for the same price,
and the responsibility *not* to filter things.

> 	It's like if I own a store with a bulletin board. I have the right to
> dictate what goes on there and what doesn't. I could arbitrarily say
> that you can post anything you want to sell on it, but no postings
> regarding private tutoring are allowed.

Yes. But then if someone posts up naked children, you are *required* to take
it down, on the grounds that you're policing the content to start with.

This is how google gets away with letting you search illegal content.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)