POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : All in a day (or two)'s work...? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:28:49 EDT (-0400)
  All in a day (or two)'s work...? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Tim Cook
Subject: All in a day (or two)'s work...?
Date: 20 Apr 2009 07:20:31
Message: <49ec5a7f$1@news.povray.org>
A bit ago I completed the initial stage of a character portrait (done in two
or three passes over as many days).

exhibit a:  http://empyrean.freesitespace.net/misc/2454941.jpg

The person who commissioned it asked how much I wanted.  I said 'however
much you think it's worth', but added that I wanted to go over it once more
and improve the linework to push the form of the figure (the effect is a bit
flat atm on the pants and jacket, apart from the figure's left arm).

That turned out to be $80...?!

So...yeah.  I was somewhat playing around with making the image look like a
Franklin Booth illustration, and as far as that goes it turned out well, has
a nice effect, and is much faster than my usual shading method, but...it's
*so* much less effort than I usually put into a drawing, and the amount paid
for it is so large that I really feel I should put in a detailed background,
just to justify that (especially since Booth focused as much, if not more,
on the backgrounds over figures).

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net

Post a reply to this message

> So...yeah.  I was somewhat playing around with making the image look like a
> Franklin Booth illustration, and as far as that goes it turned out well, has
> a nice effect, and is much faster than my usual shading method, but...it's
> *so* much less effort than I usually put into a drawing, and the amount paid
> for it is so large that I really feel I should put in a detailed background,
> just to justify that (especially since Booth focused as much, if not more,
> on the backgrounds over figures).

  For some people $80 would be *way* too little for such an image.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message