POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs Server Time
1 Oct 2024 05:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Emacs (Message 331 to 340 of 349)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 9 Messages >>>
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Emacs
Date: 22 Apr 2009 14:51:57
Message: <49ef674d$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez escreveu:
> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> True, but sometimes a bicycle is all you need, you don't need a 747 to
>> take you to the corner market. ;-)
>
> A coworker told me he once went to IBM to work for a project, and the other
> people there would start Rational Software Architect every time they had to
> change a line of a config file *sigh*

that surely is rational. :)

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 22 Apr 2009 15:01:04
Message: <49ef6970@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford escreveu:
> Warp wrote:
>
>>   When I press the 'p' key, for some odd reason my intuitive expectation
>> is for the letter 'p' to appear at the cursor's position, but that might
>> be just me.

Come on, Warp, I'm sure you know by now vi is a modal editor and its
primary mode is command-mode rather than edit.  You have the whole
alphabetic keys binded to commands and that's what makes it so
effortless to edit text by typing sequences of such commands rather than
first getting a virtuoso degree in piano playing to handle emacs complex
key-chords...

> I've used VI for a semester in a college computer science course.
>
> I learned to hate it.

Yeah, Professor Foo probably goes like:  "Now type vi file and here are
some basic commands for you.  Have fun!"  Surely wasn't a vi class and
it just got in the way of the tasks.  You surely had no time to learn it
while you were fighting against it to get your assignments done...

And I remember you're the guy who backed down from my text-copying
challenge in this thread. ;)