POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Innovative open source? Server Time
9 Oct 2024 17:23:48 EDT (-0400)
  Innovative open source? (Message 61 to 62 of 62)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Innovative open source?
Date: 5 Apr 2009 19:24:10
Message: <49d93d9a$1@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Somehow, asking people to support their assertions of facts always
>> seems to sound like trolling.
>
> Do you have a reference to back that up? ;)

Opinions are their own references. I don't argue with opinions, either.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Apr 2009 12:59:37
Message: <49da34f9$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 21:26:35 -0300, nemesis wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 18:08:30 -0300, nemesis wrote:
>>
>>>  When the company
>>> was closing doors, they realized the tool was quite complete and good
>>> enough perhaps not for going commercial
>>
>> I understood that it used to be commercially available....
>
> Not quite sure about that.  But the company was definitely closing doors
> and seemingly not interested in maintaining it though they saw its
> value.

http://www.blender.org/blenderorg/blender-foundation/history/

It was released commercially by a company called "Not a Number" (or NaN),
but was originally developed in-house by a Dutch animation studio.  NaN
failed and sold Blender the community.

Jim