POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Innovative open source? Server Time
9 Oct 2024 16:16:55 EDT (-0400)
  Innovative open source? (Message 13 to 22 of 62)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Innovative open source?
Date: 3 Apr 2009 17:22:32
Message: <49d67e18$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 18:08:30 -0300, nemesis wrote:

>  When the company
> was closing doors, they realized the tool was quite complete and good
> enough perhaps not for going commercial

I understood that it used to be commercially available....

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 3 Apr 2009 19:05:42
Message: <49d69646@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> The community literally bought a former proprietary product and
> open-sourced it.  Even Stallman gone hurrah. :)

I'd read about the first part, but not the auction. That's pretty clever.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: triple r
Date: 3 Apr 2009 19:25:00
Message: <web.49d6999eaca2c31c805d39df0@news.povray.org>
> nemesis wrote:
> > C++/Haskell/Lisp/Tcl all at the same time!
>
> I know Tcl. I'm trying to learn Python. ;-)

Hey, me too.  I'm in love already.  With numpy and scipy too, I can control the
hardware, collect data, and process it efficiently in the same language!  It's
really a great compromise.  And dictionaries?  Outstanding.

 - Ricky

Post a reply to this message

Actually, python dictionaries are pretty lame compared to dictionaries in
some other languages, like PHP. Lots of good uses for them, but they're
really nothing more than a hashtable.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

>> The community literally bought a former proprietary product and
>> open-sourced it.  Even Stallman gone hurrah. :)
>
> I'd read about the first part, but not the auction. That's pretty clever.

Pretty much like the ones you spot from time to time in the headers of
wikipedia.  It was an amazing event in any way.

Post a reply to this message

> On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 18:08:30 -0300, nemesis wrote:
>
>>  When the company
>> was closing doors, they realized the tool was quite complete and good
>> enough perhaps not for going commercial
>
> I understood that it used to be commercially available....

Not quite sure about that.  But the company was definitely closing doors
and seemingly not interested in maintaining it though they saw its value.

Post a reply to this message