POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : APIs first? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:17:46 EDT (-0400)
  APIs first? (Message 1 to 10 of 28)
From: Darren New
Subject: APIs first?
Date: 1 Apr 2009 12:56:44
Message: <49d39ccc$1@news.povray.org>
http://asserttrue.blogspot.com/2009/04/api-first-design.html

Huh? Doesn't everyone document the APIs before they start writing code that
exports APIs?  Seriously, don't you programmers do that?

I can't imagine how you can even know when you're done a piece of the
library if you didn't do the documentation first. I thought that was, like,
the only way to do it.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

> Huh? Doesn't everyone document the APIs before they start writing code
> that
> exports APIs?  Seriously, don't you programmers do that?
>
> I can't imagine how you can even know when you're done a piece of the
> library if you didn't do the documentation first. I thought that was,
> like, the only way to do it.

I spent weeks deciding on the API, some more weeks deciding on internal
design, and I've yet to write any *real code* for this one library... :)

Post a reply to this message

> Huh? Doesn't everyone document the APIs before they start writing code
> that exports APIs?  Seriously, don't you programmers do that?
>
> I can't imagine how you can even know when you're done a piece of the
> library if you didn't do the documentation first. I thought that was,
> like, the only way to do it.

Maybe I don't do anything enterprisy enough. I'm usually more worried
about "Jesus, how the hell do you design an algorithm does solves X?"

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Maybe I don't do anything enterprisy enough.

I think the commentators use "API" to mean "external API to access your
webby crap."  It used to be that "API" was how you interface to pretty much
any chunk of library code.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

>> Maybe I don't do anything enterprisy enough.
>
> I think the commentators use "API" to mean "external API to access your
> webby crap."  It used to be that "API" was how you interface to pretty
> much any chunk of library code.

It's news to me that it's possible to access anything web-based with
something other than a web browser.

Post a reply to this message

> It's news to me that it's possible to access anything web-based with
> something other than a web browser.

  Why would the http protocol be limited to web browsers?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> It's news to me that it's possible to access anything web-based with
> something other than a web browser.

Tell Windows Live Mail to use your Hotmail account and it will talk over
http.

Post a reply to this message

>> It's news to me that it's possible to access anything web-based with
>> something other than a web browser.
>
> Tell Windows Live Mail to use your Hotmail account and it will talk over
> http.

That's because they are both Micro$oft products.

Post a reply to this message