POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Itanium Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:14:01 EDT (-0400)
  Itanium (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Invisible
Subject: Itanium
Date: 10 Mar 2009 08:20:21
Message: <49b65b05$1@news.povray.org>
The Intel Itanium.

Is it still extant? Has anybody ever seen one? What's it good for? How
does its performance compare to IA32 and AMD64 processors?

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: Itanium
Date: 10 Mar 2009 09:01:31
Message: <49b664ab@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> The Intel Itanium.
>
> Is it still extant? Has anybody ever seen one? What's it good for? How
> does its performance compare to IA32 and AMD64 processors?

Apparently... It has some great ideas implemented, but by the time the first
version came out, IA32 CPUs were much faster anyway. I don't know how
performance compares in *current* IA64 CPUs.

It costs a lot of money.

Most of the optimizing work is left to the compiler, and writing a good
compiler to take advantage of IA64 is really hard (Knuth used the
word "impossible").