POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Woo, Open Source! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:15:14 EDT (-0400)
  Woo, Open Source! (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Woo, Open Source!
Date: 3 Mar 2009 04:08:12
Message: <49acf37c@news.povray.org>
>> Er, how do you figure that? If you're an "open source programmer" then,
>> by definition, you must spent time programming OSS. (Which, technically,
>> would be more than I just did. All I did was write a paragraph or two of
>> documentation...)
>
> If you're an "open source programmer" then, by definition, you must spent
> time programming OSS, and almost no time writing documentation.

Heh. Yeah, it does seem that way sometimes...

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 3 Mar 2009 04:08:43
Message: <49acf39b$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:

> Well, now you can boast the thing in the Haskell mailing lists and see if they
> continue mocking you. :)

They will.

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 3 Mar 2009 07:19:41
Message: <49ad205d$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I found a minor glitch. I reported it on the bug tracker. It got
> partially fixed. But then it sat there waiting.
>
> I downloaded the source code. I compiled it. I modified it. I checked
> it. I created a patch, and I submitted it. And, on Thursday, my patch
> was committed to both the STABLE and HEAD branches.
>
> Woo, me! :-D
>
> Now I can write on my CV that I have "contributed to an open source
> project".
>

> Uh... OK, I admit it. It was a documentation glitch. I wrote a few
> paragraphs of documentation. I never actually touched any source code.
> (Although I _did_ read through it to find the information required to
> write the documentation.)

Well, if you're shooting for a technical writing position, this
accomplishment becomes highly relevant.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 3 Mar 2009 13:05:09
Message: <49ad7155$1@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:

> Well, if you're shooting for a technical writing position, this
> accomplishment becomes highly relevant.

Agreed.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/