POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's amusements Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:18:09 EDT (-0400)
  Today's amusements (Message 13 to 22 of 42)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Today's amusements
Date: 11 Feb 2009 15:33:09
Message: <49933605$1@news.povray.org>
>> This is slightly different to constructing sentences which are very
>> wordy but don't "say" anything.
>
> There was a conference on linguistics or some such where the authors
> took markov chains from a few earlier papers and constructed a
> completely random paper to submit, got it accepted, and presented it.
> They were apparently up to the fifth or sixth slide before people
> started to catch on that it was literally random nonsense.

Apparently this has been done more than once...

Hence my earlier comment about *Markov chains*! :-P

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 11 Feb 2009 15:33:39
Message: <49933623$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> So... you have found a Markov-chain text generator?
>>
>> lol... nah, just seeing how many buzzwords I can cram into a sentence. :)
>
> Frighening, eh?
>
> Sometimes I do sit down and attempt to construct a sentence which *does*
> convey the correct meaning, but is never the less maximally technical.
>
> "We apppear to be experiencing copious quantities of solid-phase aqueous
> precipitation in the lower troposphere currently."

Heh, yeah, that makes too much sense.

> This is slightly different to constructing sentences which are very
> wordy but don't "say" anything. My sister has taken this to an art form.
> I truly mean that. I read one of her reports for school once. I managed
> to get through 3 pages, all the while thinking "gee, this stuff is
> really good". And then I suddenly realised "wait a sec - you haven't
> *said* anything yet!" True genius. No wonder she got such excellent
> grades...

She'll go far in incentivizing the workforce to produce maximally
customer friendly intuitive content.

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

>> Sometimes I do sit down and attempt to construct a sentence which
>> *does* convey the correct meaning, but is never the less maximally
>> technical.
>>
>> "We apppear to be experiencing copious quantities of solid-phase
>> aqueous precipitation in the lower troposphere currently."
>
> Heh, yeah, that makes too much sense.

Well it depends what you're aiming for. If you want "technically correct
but difficult to comprehend", that's what you just got. If you want
"sounds impressive but actually meaningless", then talk to my sister.

> She'll go far in incentivizing the workforce to produce maximally
> customer friendly intuitive content.

Actually, she's an accountant. :-D

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/