POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Freaky Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:18:37 EDT (-0400)
  Freaky (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Tom Austin
Subject: Re: Freaky
Date: 10 Feb 2009 09:12:33
Message: <49918b51$1@news.povray.org>
triple_r wrote:
>> Conway's Game of Life with a message for everyone...
>> http://golly.sourceforge.net/ticker.gif
>
> Aah, hashlife.  My personal favorite is metalife (the game of life implemented
> in the game of life!).
>
>  - Ricky

metalife...

interested person requests link  ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: triple r
Date: 10 Feb 2009 09:55:01
Message: <web.4991944223010bcdef2b9ba40@news.povray.org>
Tom Austin <taustin> wrote:
> triple_r wrote:
> > Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
> >> Conway's Game of Life with a message for everyone...
> >> http://golly.sourceforge.net/ticker.gif
> >
> > Aah, hashlife.  My personal favorite is metalife (the game of life implemented
> > in the game of life!).
> >
> >  - Ricky
> >

> metalife...
>
> interested person requests link  ;-)

It's the one right above (without ticker.gif).  Meta Galaxy is just one example
of it on the front page, but I think there are a couple more if you download
the program.  An 'alive' cell is one with a bunch of little gliders passing
through it.  This is controlled by the grid, a network of machinery surrounding
each cell.  To toggle a cell, things have to travel around the whole cell and
count the state of the neighbors.  All of this uses hashlife, so it is very
efficient.  If I recall, that means it solves it on an octree, uses a hash
table to find duplicate sections, and completely avoids evaluation of huge
sections.  Apparently this is difficult to implement.

 - Ricky

Post a reply to this message

>>> Aah, hashlife.  My personal favorite is metalife (the game of life implemented
>>> in the game of life!).
>>>
>>>  - Ricky
>>>

>> metalife...
>>
>> interested person requests link  ;-)
>
> It's the one right above (without ticker.gif).  Meta Galaxy is just one example
> of it on the front page, but I think there are a couple more if you download
> the program.  An 'alive' cell is one with a bunch of little gliders passing
> through it.  This is controlled by the grid, a network of machinery surrounding
> each cell.  To toggle a cell, things have to travel around the whole cell and
> count the state of the neighbors.  All of this uses hashlife, so it is very
> efficient.  If I recall, that means it solves it on an octree, uses a hash
> table to find duplicate sections, and completely avoids evaluation of huge
> sections.  Apparently this is difficult to implement.
>
>  - Ricky

DUH - I though it was on a different place.

Some people have WAY too much time on their hands.