POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ODBC Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:19:00 EDT (-0400)
  ODBC (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: ODBC
Date: 3 Feb 2009 09:34:13
Message: <498855e5$1@news.povray.org>
>> My goal isn't to access an MDB file; my goal is to use an MDB file to
>> test whether my ODBC program works correctly. ;-)
>
> That's one of the nice things about ODBC - you can repoint it without
> having to modify code that uses it.

The library I'm using supports ODBC, and also supports the native
protocols of a few specific DBs, but I think learning to work ODBC once
is probably my best bet. ;-)

> It's been almost 10 years since I last used ODBC - sorry, not  much help
> there.

No worries.

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 4 Feb 2009 00:53:40
Message: <49892d64$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> As I understand it, M$ Access is just a graphical frontend for the M$
> Jet engine, which actually comes with Windows itself. Does that mean I
> can configure an ODBC connection to an Access database, even though I
> don't have access?
>
> More generally, does anybody here know how to work ODBC?

Note however.. Some ODBC drivers do not provide access to the set of DB
management functions needed to "create" new DBs and tables, or they
require that you access the driver differently, depending on if you are
"creating" a DB, or just accessing its contents to read and write to it.
Took me a bit of hunting to figure that one out, since it wasn't
entirely "obvious", given most examples of "accessing" the data have the
bad habit of "assuming" the table already exists to "be" accessed. :p

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();