POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This GPL stuff is getting ridiculous Server Time
13 May 2024 16:37:04 EDT (-0400)
  This GPL stuff is getting ridiculous (Message 178 to 187 of 187)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: This GPL stuff is getting ridiculous
Date: 3 Feb 2009 15:01:49
Message: <4988a2ad@news.povray.org>
Darren New escreveu:
> For one: I can hire you to write a plug-in for me, never distribute the
> plug-in, but distribute executable code produced by the plug-in. I
> can't, however, find that you've already anticipated my need, created a
> proprietary plug-in, buy it from you, and distribute the executable
> output. I actually have to hire you *before* you write the plug-in to do
> that.

Life is odd, huh?  Anyway, it's not the case of hiring someone before or
later, it's just that it can't be a proprietary plugin, period.

> For two: I could write a plug-in that does source transformations of
> various kinds, write my source code using that plug-in, compile it,
> distribute the executables *and* source but not the plug-in. I'd be
> complying with all the terms of the licenses, but you'd still not be
> able to compile the code and come up with the executable.

I foresee a not too popular rank for your plugin. ;)

> Both of these are predicated on the fact that I can GPL my code and
> still never distribute it if I don't want to.

Yes.  You can also make a lifetime discovery, never disclose it to
anyone and someone else receive the glory for the same discovery some
time later.

Post a reply to this message