POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This GPL stuff is getting ridiculous Server Time
14 May 2024 12:43:47 EDT (-0400)
  This GPL stuff is getting ridiculous (Message 11 to 20 of 187)
From: Tim Cook
Subject: Re: This GPL stuff is getting ridiculous
Date: 28 Jan 2009 12:06:20
Message: <4980908c$1@news.povray.org>
"nemesis" <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Those "DRM-like measures" don't take away the freedoms of anyone anymore
> than current GPL:  people wanting it for proprietary projects without
> source code sharing are still out, as they've always been.

Any additional condition on something takes away more freedom.  Even if it
expands options, it's still reducing *freedom*, in the raw chaos sense.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 28 Jan 2009 12:18:09
Message: <49809351@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Except freedoms are preserved rather than taken away.  You're still free to use
> it in *any way* you want.  And if you want to modify it for yourself or your
> organization.  You just have to comply to the GPL way if you later want to ship
> that modified work, in which case the GPL is enforced so that you don't deny
> others the same rights the GPL offered you.

  There's a contradiction in there.

  If you *have to* comply to something before you can distribute, that
nullifies the claim that you are free to use it in *any way* you want.

  GPL is, in fact, rather restrictive. For example, if I make a project
under, let's say, the MIT license, I have to make extra sure that I don't
include *any* GPL'd code in it because that would be againt the GPL license.

  If I wanted to use the GPL'd code, I would have to change from the MIT
license to the GPL license, which is more restrictive.

  Just the fact that you can include MIT-licensed code in a GPL-licensed
program but not the other way around tells a lot about which license is
more "free".

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message