POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This GPL stuff is getting ridiculous Server Time
25 Jun 2024 22:34:38 EDT (-0400)
  This GPL stuff is getting ridiculous (Message 21 to 30 of 187)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: This GPL stuff is getting ridiculous
Date: 28 Jan 2009 13:22:29
Message: <4980a265$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
>>   This makes GPL incompatible with all other licenses. This is rather
>> restricting.
>
> But protective of the rights of the original author, which is the
> underlying goal.

Which original author? The one giving away the code with more restrictions,
or the one giving away the code with fewer restrictions?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 28 Jan 2009 13:31:02
Message: <4980a466@news.povray.org>
Warp escreveu:
> nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> Except freedoms are preserved rather than taken away.  You're still free to use
>> it in *any way* you want.  And if you want to modify it for yourself or your
>> organization.  You just have to comply to the GPL way if you later want to ship
>> that modified work, in which case the GPL is enforced so that you don't deny
>> others the same rights the GPL offered you.
>
>   There's a contradiction in there.
>
>   If you *have to* comply to something before you can distribute, that
> nullifies the claim that you are free to use it in *any way* you want.

True.  But I stated my claims in 3 ways:  first about usage (you can use
GPLed software in anyway you see fit), second about private
modifications (no need to release modified souce code under GPL) and
third about released modified GPLed work.  No contradiction when in context.

>   GPL is, in fact, rather restrictive. For example, if I make a project
> under, let's say, the MIT license, I have to make extra sure that I don't
> include *any* GPL'd code in it because that would be againt the GPL license.

True.

>   Just the fact that you can include MIT-licensed code in a GPL-licensed
> program but not the other way around tells a lot about which license is
> more "free".

The MIT/BSD license does nothing to protect such freedom.

If a MIT open-source project stales and dies out and all hosts of the
original code die out and only survivor of said original code is a
heavily modified closed software that led that project to die out by
providing proper marketing and more developers to make it a much better
product, then you are... well, screwed?

And if you were one of the contributors of code and patches to that
software and later realizes Microsoft or Adobe using it in their closed
products without any acknowledgement (let alone royalties) and pissing
and laughing on your grave, you are screwed too.

The GPL protects the code from gettting trapped into a closed product
and also the rights of the original developers to it.

It's more restrictive because it must make sure code remains free to use
and modify.  I take it over any permissive license anyday.

Post a reply to this message

>   This makes GPL incompatible with all other licenses. This is rather
> restricting.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses

Apache and Boost are among them.

Post a reply to this message