POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Occasionally, sanity does prevail. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:18:00 EDT (-0400)
  Occasionally, sanity does prevail. (Message 11 to 20 of 39)
From: somebody
Subject: Re: Occasionally, sanity does prevail.
Date: 25 Jan 2009 16:44:17
Message: <497cdd31@news.povray.org>
"andrel" <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
news:497### [at] hotmailcom...
> On 25-Jan-09 16:54, somebody wrote:
> > "andrel" <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> > news:497### [at] hotmailcom...
> >
> >> - There is a distinction between culture and faith. I think that this
is
> >> more culture than faith (although not having studied this particular
> >> religion it is hard for me to judge). Even so, in this case culture
> >> should prevail over arbitrary school rules. I have probably written
> >> about this before, but for me this is a very fundamental discussion.
Too
> >> often cultural expressions (head scarfs, female genital mutilation) are
> >> claimed to be religious in order to have them accepted in a host
> >> culture. We even had a religious 'leader' who claimed that he as a
> >> muslim was not allowed to shake hands with females and 'therefore'
> >> refused the hand of a minister. As long as we don't make the
distinction
> >> between culture and religion anybody can make such things up to annoy
> >> others and get away with it because the others are not allowed to
> >> discriminate against a 'religion'.
> >
> > You have some points about "abuse" of religious freedom, but I don't
think
> > it's very productive for courts to go into long winded arguments of
what's
> > culture and what's religion, and how old the religions/customs might be.
And
> > fundamentally, I agree with your claim of distinction between faith and
> > culture. Much (in fact, all) of the practices of Abrahamic religions are
> > based on culture. Ultimately, there's no such thing as religion distinct
> > from culture - at least from this atheist's perspective - since all
> > religions are invented by men, and culture is just that - whatever
lifestyle
> > man invents. So instead of wasting time and money trying to sort all the
> > silliness, I say that the principle be adopted where so long as there
are no
> > adverse effects (health, safety... etc), let them wear what they want,
and
> > be consistent/evenhanded. Braids, long, free flowing hair is a no-no in
> > machine shop, food preparation.... etc, but it's hard to justfiy it as a
> > risk at a school.

> I disagree. The refusal of jews and muslims to eat pork or obeying
> Ramadan or sabbath is firmly established in the books. Your point that
> the books were written by humans may be true but is irrelevant. For the
> believers it is *provably* part of their religion.
> OTOH you have things like women to have to wear hats on sunday when
> going to church as is the practice in some circles in the Netherlands.
> This has no basis in the script but rests on an interpretation of (IIRC)
> Timothy 2:9-10 (no don't ask me how they do that). The common cultural
> idea that women have to wear headscarfs or worse also rests on such an
> interpretation of similar words by Mohamed.

It's also written in the "books" that it's just dandy to kill infidels,
homosexuals... etc. And that headscarves may not be in the books doesn't
mean Muslims don't feel as strongly about it as pork. Either way, granting
rights, priviledges and exceptions based on certain view that some people
wrote or did not write in some books, and inconsistenly at that, at some
point in history, is a bad, bad idea.

Post a reply to this message

> "andrel" <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message

> > I disagree. The refusal of jews and muslims to eat pork or obeying
> > Ramadan or sabbath is firmly established in the books. Your point that
> > the books were written by humans may be true but is irrelevant. For the
> > believers it is *provably* part of their religion.
> > OTOH you have things like women to have to wear hats on sunday when
> > going to church as is the practice in some circles in the Netherlands.
> > This has no basis in the script but rests on an interpretation of (IIRC)
> > Timothy 2:9-10 (no don't ask me how they do that). The common cultural
> > idea that women have to wear headscarfs or worse also rests on such an
> > interpretation of similar words by Mohamed.

> It's also written in the "books" that it's just dandy to kill infidels,
> homosexuals... etc. And that headscarves may not be in the books doesn't
> mean Muslims don't feel as strongly about it as pork. Either way, granting
> rights, priviledges and exceptions based on certain view that some people
> wrote or did not write in some books, and inconsistenly at that, at some
> point in history, is a bad, bad idea.

Also, of course, such a "book based" policy would arbitrarily discriminate
against cultures whose traditions are more oral than written. The judicial
system should not be in the business of deciding which religions are more
legitimate than others, or which parts of a religion (pork) are from god,
which parts (headscarves) from man.

Post a reply to this message

> That's easy.  If the safety rules conflict with one's religious rules,
> then there are two options:

> 1.  You go by the food safety rules
> 2.  You find a different job

  Tell that to the politically-correct multicultural-friendly courts of
law of western Europe...

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> "andrel" <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
>
>>> I disagree. The refusal of jews and muslims to eat pork or obeying
>>> Ramadan or sabbath is firmly established in the books. Your point that
>>> the books were written by humans may be true but is irrelevant. For the
>>> believers it is *provably* part of their religion.
>>> OTOH you have things like women to have to wear hats on sunday when
>>> going to church as is the practice in some circles in the Netherlands.
>>> This has no basis in the script but rests on an interpretation of (IIRC)
>>> Timothy 2:9-10 (no don't ask me how they do that). The common cultural
>>> idea that women have to wear headscarfs or worse also rests on such an
>>> interpretation of similar words by Mohamed.
>
>> It's also written in the "books" that it's just dandy to kill infidels,
>> homosexuals... etc. And that headscarves may not be in the books doesn't
>> mean Muslims don't feel as strongly about it as pork.

If you add 'many' between 'mean' and 'Muslims' you have exactly the
reason why I choose the example.

>> Either way, granting
>> rights, priviledges and exceptions based on certain view that some people
>> wrote or did not write in some books, and inconsistenly at that, at some
>> point in history, is a bad, bad idea.
>
> Also, of course, such a "book based" policy would arbitrarily discriminate
> against cultures whose traditions are more oral than written. The judicial
> system should not be in the business of deciding which religions are more
> legitimate than others, or which parts of a religion (pork) are from god,
> which parts (headscarves) from man.

But they do already. Everytime a woman complains that she is
discriminated against because she has to wear that scarf, the judge when
ruling in her favor effectively rules that a scarf is a religious and
not a cultural phenomenon. I don't think any judge or politician has
enough guts to rule or pass a law recognizing the fact that the lady in
question was lied to and naively believed what she was told.

Post a reply to this message