POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sudoku Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:18:26 EDT (-0400)
  Sudoku (Message 41 to 50 of 51)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 1 Messages >>>
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Sudoku
Date: 26 Jan 2009 16:34:18
Message: <497e2c59@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> Isn't trial and error a form of deduction anyway?

  The most common aid used in solving sudoku (and thus supported by most
sudoku software) is to put small marks like "in this 3x3 subgrid a 5 goes
to either this square or this one" (by writing small 5's at the corner of
the square) and the like. I don't call that "trial and error", but a form
of bookkeeping. You are simply marking what you can deduce (ie. which
numbers must go where). At some point when you solve parts of the rest
of the puzzle, you'll end up seeing in which of the two squares the 5
really goes.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message