POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Smuggling BB's as software piracy Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:16:07 EDT (-0400)
  Smuggling BB's as software piracy (Message 1 to 10 of 24)
From: gregjohn
Subject: Smuggling BB's as software piracy
Date: 22 Jan 2009 21:55:01
Message: <web.497930c3f82f223e34d207310@news.povray.org>
I heard on a math contest the fact that all programs are essentially just big
numbers.  The compiled binary or even the ASCII for the source may ultimately
be thought of as just some really big, unique number.  When you buy software,
they tell you what the number is.

I was just imagining a scifi novel where The Man has complete control over
people's computers and the only way to share software (legally/ illegally) is
to load your car up with bb pellets.  The Man doesn't stop cars and doesn't
think to check for bb's.   Once you get to the destination, you count bb's, and
viola, sofware is shared.

Post a reply to this message

> I was just imagining a scifi novel where The Man has complete control over
> people's computers and the only way to share software (legally/ illegally) is
> to load your car up with bb pellets.  The Man doesn't stop cars and doesn't
> think to check for bb's.   Once you get to the destination, you count bb's, and
> viola, sofware is shared.

I think you're going to need a huge car to smuggle a 256 byte program. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"

Post a reply to this message

>> I was just imagining a scifi novel where The Man has complete control
>> over
>> people's computers and the only way to share software (legally/
>> illegally) is
>> to load your car up with bb pellets.  The Man doesn't stop cars and
>> doesn't
>> think to check for bb's.   Once you get to the destination, you count
>> bb's, and
>> viola, sofware is shared.
>
> I think you're going to need a huge car to smuggle a 256 byte program. :-)

	Different color bb's can represent different bases. Problem solved.

--
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane

                    /\  /\               /\  /
                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl

Post a reply to this message

> I was just imagining a scifi novel where The Man has complete control over
> people's computers and the only way to share software (legally/ illegally)
> is
> to load your car up with bb pellets.  The Man doesn't stop cars and
> doesn't
> think to check for bb's.   Once you get to the destination, you count
> bb's, and
> viola, sofware is shared.

Yeh a good one, although if he doesn't stop cars, then why not just write
out the code on paper and take that?

Post a reply to this message

>> I was just imagining a scifi novel where The Man has complete control
>> over
>> people's computers and the only way to share software (legally/
>> illegally) is
>> to load your car up with bb pellets.  The Man doesn't stop cars and
>> doesn't
>> think to check for bb's.   Once you get to the destination, you count
>> bb's, and
>> viola, sofware is shared.
>
> Yeh a good one, although if he doesn't stop cars, then why not just
> write out the code on paper and take that?

The Man will be stopping cars, trust me.

You could always imprint binary code onto paper napkins. Who would stop
to study minuscule topography? :)

Sam

Post a reply to this message

> The Man will be stopping cars, trust me.
>
> You could always imprint binary code onto paper napkins. Who would stop
> to study minuscule topography? :)

Someone who is already stopping cars and never finding anything :)

Post a reply to this message

>> The Man will be stopping cars, trust me.
>>
>> You could always imprint binary code onto paper napkins. Who would
>> stop to study minuscule topography? :)
>
> Someone who is already stopping cars and never finding anything :)

Well in that case, if you can get enough people transporting encoded
paper napkins full of gibberish, you can jam the unjust totalitarian
system ;)

Post a reply to this message