POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Nothing like a good hard drive crash to get your blood pumping Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:17:19 EDT (-0400)
  Nothing like a good hard drive crash to get your blood pumping (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: Nothing like a good hard drive crash to get your blood pumping
Date: 20 Jan 2009 08:10:15
Message: <4975cd37$1@news.povray.org>
:-(

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 20 Jan 2009 08:11:46
Message: <4975cd92$1@news.povray.org>
Head crash? Or merely a controller failure?

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 20 Jan 2009 08:35:46
Message: <4975d332@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Head crash? Or merely a controller failure?

Dunno. I come home, and wife says "There's some weird message on your
computer."

Some IO error with some boot file. Can't be good. Power down, power up.
Same error. Not good at all.

Vista CD in drive, boot with command prompt. Locks on "drive.sys or
disk.sys" Bad... Reboot again, and BIOS reports "SMART Status bad for
Primary Master. Backup and Replace"

No kidding. WTF good is early warning when it happens AFTER THE FACT? :/

Drive doesn't make any weird grindy noises .. so maybe controller
failure? The drive was just a month short of 5 years old. The motor
probably died.

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message