POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Theoretical physics is just plain weird. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:16:43 EDT (-0400)
  Theoretical physics is just plain weird. (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: Theoretical physics is just plain weird.
Date: 16 Jan 2009 10:13:44
Message: <4970a428$1@news.povray.org>
Essentially, They're saying that the universe may just be a giant
hologram. Weird.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20126911.300-our-world-may-be-a-giant-hologram.html

Tiny'd in case that doesn't translate well in the newsreader:

http://tinyurl.com/8ah9az
--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Theoretical physics is just plain weird.
Date: 16 Jan 2009 10:25:16
Message: <4970a6dc@news.povray.org>
"He showed that the physics inside a hypothetical universe with five
dimensions and shaped like a Pringle is the same as the physics taking
place on the four-dimensional boundary."

Seriously, *why* would you try to show that?? o_O

Post a reply to this message

> "He showed that the physics inside a hypothetical universe with five
> dimensions and shaped like a Pringle is the same as the physics taking
> place on the four-dimensional boundary."
>
> Seriously, *why* would you try to show that?? o_O

Because we live in a four-dimensional universe which might be the boundary
of a five-dimensional space with negative curvature? (I wonder if he figured
out how to detect the curvature from inside the boundary.)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?

Post a reply to this message

> "He showed that the physics inside a hypothetical universe with five
> dimensions and shaped like a Pringle is the same as the physics taking
> place on the four-dimensional boundary."

> Seriously, *why* would you try to show that?? o_O

Because you seek funding from Procter & Gamble.

Post a reply to this message

> Because you seek funding from Procter & Gamble.

LOL. I think the pringle chip description is trying to describe some
sort of saddle shape (I forget the mathematical name) in terms that a
layman can understand.

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

> "He showed that the physics inside a hypothetical universe with five
> dimensions and shaped like a Pringle is the same as the physics taking
> place on the four-dimensional boundary."

Mmm Pringles.

Post a reply to this message

> > Because you seek funding from Procter & Gamble.

> in terms that a  layman can understand.

If that were the case, Doritos would have been the better choice...

Post a reply to this message

> sort of saddle shape (I forget the mathematical name) in terms that a

"Negative curvature"

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?
   There aren't any trees on Mars.

Post a reply to this message

> "He showed that the physics inside a hypothetical universe with five
> dimensions and shaped like a Pringle is the same as the physics taking
> place on the four-dimensional boundary."
>
> Seriously, *why* would you try to show that?? o_O

Could be worse. It might have been a donut, then we would get all sorts
of "Homer Simpson eats the universe" jokes...

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();
       call DRM_everything();
     }
     call functional_code();
   }
   else
     call crash_windows();
}

> Essentially, They're saying that the universe may just be a giant
> hologram. Weird.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20126911.300-our-world-may-be-a-giant-hologram.html

Cool article.  Nothing but holograms... perhaps on a credit card... :P