POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A simple matter Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:18:43 EDT (-0400)
  A simple matter (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Invisible
Subject: A simple matter
Date: 13 Jan 2009 11:18:05
Message: <496cbebd$1@news.povray.org>
Does anybody know of a way to make the Unix "dd" tool *not* abort if the
output device has bad blocks? (That's *output*, not input.) I'm trying
to erase a harddrive, but it appears to be defective. dd keeps giving up
as soon as it reaches the first bad block.

Post a reply to this message

> Does anybody know of a way to make the Unix "dd" tool *not* abort if the
> output device has bad blocks? (That's *output*, not input.) I'm trying
> to erase a harddrive, but it appears to be defective. dd keeps giving up
> as soon as it reaches the first bad block.

I'd be happy if it didn't hang when you tried to seek past the last block of
the disk and write. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?

Post a reply to this message

> Does anybody know of a way to make the Unix "dd" tool *not* abort if the
> output device has bad blocks? (That's *output*, not input.) I'm trying
> to erase a harddrive, but it appears to be defective. dd keeps giving up
> as soon as it reaches the first bad block.

Doesn't answer your specific question, but perhaps dban would be a
better alternative?  Granted, I don't know if it would perhaps gag on
bad blocks as well.

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 16:18:02 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> Does anybody know of a way to make the Unix "dd" tool *not* abort if the
> output device has bad blocks? (That's *output*, not input.) I'm trying
> to erase a harddrive, but it appears to be defective. dd keeps giving up
> as soon as it reaches the first bad block.

The man page suggests "noerror" might be the option you're looking for....

Jim

Post a reply to this message