POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Drool Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:18:26 EDT (-0400)
  Drool (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Invisible
Subject: Drool
Date: 14 Jan 2009 09:42:51
Message: <496df9eb$1@news.povray.org>

device which delivers 4 TeraFLOPS of computational goodness. And if

C1060. (The S1070 is basically four of these in a box. The C1060 is just
a normal PCI card.) This still delivers 933 GigaFLOPS of compute power.

...of course, all of those are *peak* values. So the S1070 delivers "up
to" 4 TeraFLOPS. (Depending on how well your software utilises it.)

All of those are also for *single-precision* floating-point computation.
The C1060 delivers 933 GigaFLOPS peak power for single-precision, but
for *double-precision* it delivers a far less impessive 78 GigaFLOPS.
(And that's still *peak* performance.) The S1070 correspondingly
delivers only 345 GigaFLOPS in double-precision arithmetic.

Hell, if I had any clue how much performance a current CPU delivers, I'd
know if these numbers are impressive or not! ;-)

I don't think I'll rush out and buy a Tesla any time soon though.

GigaFLOPS. That's presumably single-precision again, but it's comparable
to the (vastly more expensive) Tesla C1060, so it's not unreasonable to
expect double-precision to be similar too.

Post a reply to this message