POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How... sensible. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:19:01 EDT (-0400)
  How... sensible. (Message 11 to 18 of 18)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: How... sensible.
Date: 7 Jan 2009 13:01:54
Message: <4964ee12@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> Ben Goldarce's second last sentence started with "But most crucially"
> I deliberately misunderstood you :)

There's nothing wrong with starting a sentence with a conjunction.

"But for the weather, we would have had fun" works too, and you can't *not*
start that with a conjunction without rearranging the whole sentence.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 10:01:51 -0800, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:

>Stephen wrote:
>> Ben Goldarce's second last sentence started with "But most crucially"
>> I deliberately misunderstood you :)
>
>There's nothing wrong with starting a sentence with a conjunction.

Maybe on your side of the pond but over here it is a rule that a lot of people
ignore. (Myself included)

>"But for the weather, we would have had fun" works too, and you can't *not*
>start that with a conjunction without rearranging the whole sentence.

"Save for the weather, we would have had fun"?
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 7 Jan 2009 14:29:46
Message: <496502aa$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> "Save for the weather, we would have had fun"?

That sounds much more British to my ear, actually. Interesting.

From: Stephen
Date: 7 Jan 2009 15:49:38
Message: <5a5am4tj6rn3sr1jf5p6o6vap7950a0cnl@4ax.com>
On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 11:29:43 -0800, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:

>Stephen wrote:
>> "Save for the weather, we would have had fun"?
>
>That sounds much more British to my ear, actually. Interesting.

Funnily enough I am British :-)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 7 Jan 2009 16:43:09
Message: <496521ed$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 11:29:43 -0800, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
>
>> Stephen wrote:
>>> "Save for the weather, we would have had fun"?
>> That sounds much more British to my ear, actually. Interesting.
>
> Funnily enough I am British :-)

I gathered that, based on your "pond" references. I mean, it's funny that
the British have stricter rules about not starting a sentence with a
preposition, and to this American at least, using "save" instead of "but"
there gives the sentence a British flavor. Or flavour.

Not surprising, really, but interesting.

From: Stephen
Date: 7 Jan 2009 16:59:24
Message: <659am4pj8pc4jo554k2j09fd907k1avtcs@4ax.com>
On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 13:43:06 -0800, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:

>Stephen wrote:

>>> That sounds much more British to my ear, actually. Interesting.
>>
>> Funnily enough I am British :-)

I was just being sarky :)

>I gathered that, based on your "pond" references. I mean, it's funny that
>the British have stricter rules about not starting a sentence with a
>preposition, and to this American at least, using "save" instead of "but"
>there gives the sentence a British flavor. Or flavour.

Why do you say that "it's funny that the British have stricter rules about not
starting a sentence with a preposition"? I would have thought that we had
stricter rules than Americans. At least in theory ;)

>Not surprising, really, but interesting.

True, interesting.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 7 Jan 2009 17:00:43
Message: <4965260b@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 13:43:06 -0800, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
>
>> Stephen wrote:

>>> Funnily enough I am British :-)
>
> I was just being sarky :)
>
>> I gathered that, based on your "pond" references. I mean, it's funny that
>> the British have stricter rules about not starting a sentence with a
>> preposition, and to this American at least, using "save" instead of "but"
>> there gives the sentence a British flavor. Or flavour.
>>

> Why do you say that "it's funny that the British have stricter rules about not
> starting a sentence with a preposition"?

I put an extra comma in there. It's funny that (you have stricter rules and
it makes you sound more British when you follow them).

From: Stephen
Date: 7 Jan 2009 17:17:46
Message: <ubaam4hckt34kpeigebq50le9qp48ripol@4ax.com>
On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 14:00:39 -0800, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:

>I put an extra comma in there. It's funny that (you have stricter rules and
>it makes you sound more British when you follow them).

OK, I'm slow tonight (tonight?) :)

That, I can understand and agree with.
--

Regards