POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How... sensible. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:19:11 EDT (-0400)
  How... sensible. (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: Invisible
Subject: How... sensible.
Date: 6 Jan 2009 10:29:17
Message: <496378cd@news.povray.org>
I stumbled on this today:

http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

For some reason, it seemed to me like something Phil would agree with...

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Subject: Re: How... sensible.
Date: 7 Jan 2009 05:43:01
Message: <49648735@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I stumbled on this today:
>
> http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/
>
> For some reason, it seemed to me like something Phil would agree with...

Also,

http://www.badscience.net/

I particularly liked this article:

http://www.badscience.net/2008/12/transparent-excuse-for-printing-a-nice-pair-of-hooters/

The final paragraph sums it up so well:

"These stories tell us nothing about science. They are what PR companies

paper without paying, and onto editorial pages. They are copied and
pasted onto the page by hurried journalists with a hangover and other
deadlines to deal with, exactly as I have copied and pasted this work

self-effacing moment of rhetorical symmetry. But most crucially of all,
these companies know that the way to get a non-story into a national
broadsheet newspaper is to make it about science, the one subject which
is regarded by editors and senior executives with universal derision and
incomprenhension. Merry christmas."

Anybody else find the final pair of sentences worrying?

Post a reply to this message