POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Which would you buy? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:21:58 EDT (-0400)
  Which would you buy? (Message 1 to 10 of 43)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Which would you buy?
Date: 5 Jan 2009 16:44:24
Message: <49627f38$1@news.povray.org>
http://tinyurl.com/7jmauo

Ah, I love benchmarks. You can argue about memory bandwidth or cache
sizes or price points all day, but a benchmark shows you what's
happening in the real world.

Right, so let's look at this benchmark. The GeForce 7900 GT is *clearly*
the loser. It has been thoroughly PWN3D in every single test. Some show
the other cards as up to 8x faster.

Now, the GeForce 280 is roughly 5x the price of the GeForce 260. And
thus you would expect a corresponding difference in performance. I don't
see one. Actually, in almost all cases, the two cards look remarkably
similar in performance. The 280 is maybe 3% or even as much as 10%
faster. Big deal. For 5x the price? I don't think I'll bother.

See, that's why I love benchmarks! :-D

Also... I'm loving the way even the big meat just can't handle Crysis.
That game came out, what, 7 years ago? And *still* today no graphics
card can run it properly. WTF? It's like the Vista of the gaming world...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Also... I'm loving the way even the big meat just can't handle Crysis.
> That game came out, what, 7 years ago? And *still* today no graphics
> card can run it properly. WTF? It's like the Vista of the gaming world...

FSX will certainly choke even the beefiest SLI systems. I hate FSX. It's
always a a trade-off between beautiful visuals and looks like crap but
at least runs at better than 15fps.

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

> FSX will certainly choke even the beefiest SLI systems. I hate FSX. It's
> always a a trade-off between beautiful visuals and looks like crap but
> at least runs at better than 15fps.

What comfuses me is the number of benchmarks where SLI systems are
several percent *slower* than non-SLI. WTF?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/