POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : REAL random numbers :D Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:22:18 EDT (-0400)
  REAL random numbers :D (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: Re: REAL random numbers :D
Date: 6 Jan 2009 14:03:15
Message: <4963aaf3$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Mike Raiford wrote:
>> Darren New wrote:
>>

>>> What do you think drives the randomness of lava lamps? Pixies?
>>>

>> Fluid Dynamics? Heat?
>
> And ... those in turn are caused by ... ?

electron motion converted to heat by squeezing them through a thin
filament of tungsten? Molecules of water and wax interacting with each
other once the wax is liquid.

> Granted, individual atom decay is less likely to exhibit statistical
> groupings. And you rarely have your radioactive source get too cold to
> be random. :-)

Right, and occasionally my lava lamp acts completely non-random. It
forms a single blob that just hangs there.

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

> Right, and occasionally my lava lamp acts completely non-random. It
> forms a single blob that just hangs there.

I saw a laval lamp in a shop that had been left on for, like, the entire
day or something.

Do you know what a homogenous wax/water emulsion looks like? I do.

Post a reply to this message

> Do you know what a homogenous wax/water emulsion looks like? I do.

Someone shook it, I bet.

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

>> Do you know what a homogenous wax/water emulsion looks like? I do.
>
> Someone shook it, I bet.

Well, the instruction on mine do say not to run it for too long. And,
just once, I accidentally left it on too long and it did emulsify to
some degree.

Post a reply to this message

>>> Do you know what a homogenous wax/water emulsion looks like? I do.
>>
>> Someone shook it, I bet.
>
> Well, the instruction on mine do say not to run it for too long. And,
> just once, I accidentally left it on too long and it did emulsify to
> some degree.

Mine always eventually became one single amorphous blob that would just
sit there.. But, didn't emulsify. I did shake it once just for fun. That
emulsified it. Took days for the wax to settle out of the water.

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

>>> Someone shook it, I bet.
>>
>> Well, the instruction on mine do say not to run it for too long. And,
>> just once, I accidentally left it on too long and it did emulsify to
>> some degree.
>
> Mine always eventually became one single amorphous blob that would just
> sit there.. But, didn't emulsify. I did shake it once just for fun. That
> emulsified it. Took days for the wax to settle out of the water.

Interesting. After mine emulsified, I just turned it off, and fairly
quickly (about 20 minutes) all the wax sank to the bottom and co...
uh... no, sorry, I can't spell that word. :-S