POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Freaky Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:18:12 EDT (-0400)
  Freaky (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Freaky
Date: 5 Jan 2009 15:29:14
Message: <49626d9a@news.povray.org>
>> I'm still pretty sure you'll need the whole file in case of bzip2. But
>
> Now I'm even more sure, I tested ;). I drained 10M of random data to a
> file, compressed it, had 11M file :), took first 10M of it and tried to
> uncompress it.

> bunzip2: Deleting output file testi2, if it exists.

That's a limitation of the bunzip2 executable, not a fundamental
limitation of the algorithm itself.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 5 Jan 2009 15:41:37
Message: <49627081$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> That's a limitation of the bunzip2 executable, not a fundamental
> limitation of the algorithm itself.

I think that's true too, while bunzip2 can actually list all full
blocks. Never tried so hard, just waited for the whole file.

Question if someone would know: is there a Linux-software freely
available that *can* uncompress the existing part of bzip2 archive?

-Aero

Post a reply to this message