POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Music Fingerprinting ..? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:21:29 EDT (-0400)
  Music Fingerprinting ..? (Message 21 to 24 of 24)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Music Fingerprinting ..?
Date: 9 Dec 2008 13:09:08
Message: <493eb444$1@news.povray.org>
>>> (But then, so should identifying a CD by it's serial number, and
>>> apparently that is a "solved problem".)
>>
>> What do you mean? Isn't the whole idea of a *serial* number that you
>> can identify which one it is?
>
> CDDB works by looking at track lengths and positions. I.e., the
> information in the table of contents that says what sector each song
> starts and stops on. Audio CDs for some reason don't have serial
> numbers, UPC codes, lyrics, or cover art encoded on them, which seems
> like rather a loss to me. (Even stranger to me is that MP3 doesn't
> define that sort of thing either.)

MP3 defines ID3 for storing basic metadata about the track.

I gather the Ogg guys have a special format especially for storing
lyrics... ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Darren New
Date: 9 Dec 2008 15:04:54
Message: <493ecf66@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Are you sure it's not just reading the track titles from the CD-text? :-P

Yes. If it were, it wouldn't work without the CD text, and the text would
match what's on the CD.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

> MP3 defines ID3 for storing basic metadata about the track.

No it doesn't. That was tacked on long after the format was standardized and
popular. Hence the obvious kludginess of the format.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)