POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Shopping for TVs Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  Shopping for TVs (Message 31 to 40 of 205)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Shopping for TVs
Date: 1 Dec 2008 04:00:24
Message: <4933a7a8$1@news.povray.org>
> Minor note on this though. With mine at least (which is a fairly big one),
> I find watching SD over the HD cables makes for a grainier picture. Don't
> ask me why.. Something about how it gets encoded from the cable box or how
> the TV handles it once it has it, but the "coax" connector worse "far"
> better for SD than does any of the high def cables. In contrast, of
> course, the opposite is true when using the true HD signals.

As you say, I think it depends on how your TV up-scales the SD signal, some
certainly do a better job than others.  I suspect for a "good" result, the
TV needs to blur/hide the low-resolution of the SD signal, rather than
trying to display it as sharp as possible (while that will give the most
accurate results, it also most accurately shows you how bad the original
signal is!).

Post a reply to this message