POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Shopping for TVs Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:24:44 EDT (-0400)
  Shopping for TVs (Message 121 to 130 of 205)
From: Phil Cook v2
Subject: Re: Shopping for TVs
Date: 3 Dec 2008 10:33:27
Message: <op.ullet9flmn4jds@phils.mshome.net>
And lo On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 15:22:12 -0000, Stephen <mcavoysAT@aoldotcom>
did spake thusly:

> On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 14:22:02 -0000, "Phil Cook v2"
> <phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote:
>

>> And lo On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 12:07:40 -0000, Stephen <mcavoysAT@aoldotcom>
>> did spake thusly:
>>
>>> Ha! You need a Swiss Army Knife for Christmas ;)
>>
>> Leatherman; let the fight begin :-)
>>
> There's no need to fight, Phil. Leatherman are good multi tools but they
> don't
> suit my needs. I have one but seldom use it. To be honest, with my Swiss
> Army
> knife, after the blade the tool I use most is the corkscrew :)

And the Spartan is about a third the price of the C2, so fairy nuff.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Phil Cook v2
Date: 3 Dec 2008 10:42:17
Message: <op.ulle8ng6mn4jds@phils.mshome.net>
And lo On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 15:19:11 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake thusly:

>>> (Mercifully, it's virtually impossible to determine who an IP address
>>> belongs to...)
>>  Why would that be?
>
> ...because every minute of every hour, hundreds of thousands of people
> connect to a given ISP and get assigned new IP addresses purely at
> random?

Except they know the telephone number you're connecting from, unless you
hide it and then some won't let you connect.

>> Your ISP knows who's connecting to them and what IP address has been
>> assigned to them. If the company keeps its own logs then it's simply a
>> matter of matching up times.
>
> Excep that I'm almost certain that it's illegal for ISPs to give out
> that kind of information. (I'm also almost certain they don't even
> record it in the first place, because it would be too hard.)

Check various communications laws, there's normally a bunch of provisos
about providing information. How do you think the police get hold of
telephone records?

>> Come the official police state and we'll all have fixed IP addresses
>> tied to our ID cards and it'll be a criminal offence to use a different
>> one.
>
> Yeah, ain't that the truth...
>
>> On an even easier note if you've signed up to Google (or don't clear
>> your cookies) and did the search there then they at least know exactly
>> who you are and what you like to search for; all it'll take is a court
>> order and voila.
>
> Again, how do they get their hands on cookies for a different domain?

Check your stats pages you might see a referrer address so they know where
you came from, they then track you through their site. Now look closely at
the results google presents say for "test"

The first result is "Test.com Web Based Testing Software" hover over it
and it'll take you to www.test.com right? Wrong! Pull up the properties of
the link and you'll see it's going to
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.test.com%2F&ei=Bag2Sb7LB6HcwwH00_ygCA&usg=AFQjCNH21KLjC0CBkjon2DwD_CZ0HApLMw&sig2=vLPKI-AayJcm2Yjw8x974w

They know where you came from, what you were doing on their site, and
where you left for.

> (Also, what do you mean "sign up to Google"?)

For personalised info on iGoogle, you got Gmail?

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 15:33:35 -0000, "Phil Cook v2"
<phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote:

>And the Spartan is about a third the price of the C2, so fairy nuff.

Woosh!
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>>>  Why would that be?
>>
>> ...because every minute of every hour, hundreds of thousands of people
>> connect to a given ISP and get assigned new IP addresses purely at
>> random?
>
> Except they know the telephone number you're connecting from, unless you
> hide it and then some won't let you connect.

This still doesn't explain who the ISP is supposed to keep track of
several thousand computers all concurrently using their system.

> Check various communications laws, there's normally a bunch of provisos
> about providing information. How do you think the police get hold of
> telephone records?

OK, so they give the *police* that information. They're not going to
give it to anybody else, are they? :-P

>> Again, how do they get their hands on cookies for a different domain?
>
> Check your stats pages you might see a referrer address so they know
> where you came from, they then track you through their site. Now look
> closely at the results google presents say for "test"
>
> The first result is "Test.com Web Based Testing Software" hover over it
> and it'll take you to www.test.com right? Wrong! Pull up the properties
> of the link and you'll see it's going to

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.test.com%2F&ei=Bag2S

> They know where you came from, what you were doing on their site, and
> where you left for.

OK, so they know I came from Google. They still don't know what I
searched for. :-P

>> (Also, what do you mean "sign up to Google"?)
>
> For personalised info on iGoogle, you got Gmail?

...wuh?

Post a reply to this message

> On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 15:33:35 -0000, "Phil Cook v2"
> <phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote:
>
>> And the Spartan is about a third the price of the C2, so fairy nuff.
>
> Woosh!

Spartan being the SAK with blade and corkscew and C2 being the cheapest LM
of similar design. Just looked up recent prices - £9 vs. £50 woah a fifth
of the price.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com