POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:24:18 EDT (-0400)
  Haskell (Message 81 to 90 of 106)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Haskell
Date: 16 Dec 2008 12:06:14
Message: <ivnfk49uentff7doiu5ju92cchfetfh65v@4ax.com>
On 15 Dec 2008 14:24:45 -0500, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 16:31:53 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>
>>  ppl means Private Pilot License or Preferred Parts
>> List amongst other things.
>
>Past Participle. :-)

That 2
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 16 Dec 2008 12:09:35
Message: <33ofk45phdmrfr2ucelkbikb6rgisa3dlg@4ax.com>
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 20:16:07 +0100, andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>On 14-Dec-08 18:27, Stephen wrote:
>

>> Now as someone who has battled with dyslexia I find it insulting to be spoken to
>> like that. Also on an international newsgroup it is only polite to write in a
>> way that you can be understood.
>>

>I can see your point, but the group is not only international, it is
>also intercultural. You'd be amazed what is considered normal spelling
>in some subcultures. Indeed we have had worse examples of 1337 here. If
>I were you I would not bother too much. Kids will always want to show
>that they are part of some interesting cultural development. I did it
>when I was young, you probably did it too,

Guilty as charged, my Lord.

>though in our cases it was
>not language that was the victim. It'll rub off when they get older
>generally (or it becomes standard spelling).

Heaven forbid the latter :)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 16 Dec 2008 12:10:51
Message: <68ofk41okb9nts0ari4j1ho4arpeb62vj7@4ax.com>
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 08:30:48 -0600, Mike Raiford <"m[raiford]!at"@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Stephen wrote:
>
>> To a native English speaker it makes you sound juvenile or ignorant. Also other
>> people do not read your text faster.
>> Hrd 2 rd
>
>Yep. I generally read people who use those obnoxious 1-2 letter
>abbreviations as being 12-14 .. Which is rather unsettling when it's
>someone you know in real life, and they type like a scriddie ...

True LOL
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 16 Dec 2008 12:12:09
Message: <i9ofk4972krbrd4ec7p09ol633j6e94571@4ax.com>
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 17:25:32 -0000, "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:

> Now, take my son,

Do I hear an implied "please"?  :-)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Date: 16 Dec 2008 12:46:49
Message: <4947e989@news.povray.org>
"andrel" <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
news:494### [at] hotmailcom...

> Note that we are a friendly bunch of guys,

   *Shoves* Andrel on the shoulder...

     ;)

   ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Date: 16 Dec 2008 12:56:01
Message: <4947ebb1@news.povray.org>
"Saul Luizaga" <sau### [at] netscapenet> wrote in message
> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 21:35:41 -0400, Saul Luizaga wrote:
>
>> Now, tell me you read the paragraph immediately proceeding this one and
>> the one before it at the same speed.  I *wrote* it, and the first one
>> takes me longer, even though it's shorter.
>
> Actually my reading flowed through till the part of 'kewl' and 'eye ahm'
> since as I mentioned I read/wrote posts in this juvenile game forum, so
> was almost no problem, so on that game forum I'd add those words to the
> 'vocabulary' and use them when necessary, but I see YOUR :) point now and
> I understand better this community so is not only fair for YOU :) all but
> also convenient since writing good English leaves no doubt what one is
> trying to say is a harmonious common ground of understanding, I'll try to
> write to YOU :) in the best English I know plus Mozilla SeaMonkey's
> English spell check corrections :)

   They've been ganging up on you Saul, but you gave some of them a black
eye. That's the spirit!  ;)

    ~Steve~

> Cheers.

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Date: 16 Dec 2008 13:00:41
Message: <4947ecc9$1@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoysAT@aolDOTcom> wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 17:25:32 -0000, "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
>
>> Now, take my son,
>
> Do I hear an implied "please"?  :-)

    LOL, yes! :o)

    Oh. Wait. Someone's already done that... :o/

     ~Steve~

> --
>
> Regards
>     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 16 Dec 2008 15:38:26
Message: <4948121E.4080100@hotmail.com>
On 16-Dec-08 18:05, Stephen wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 11:19:03 -0400, Saul Luizaga <sau### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>
>> Last post I promise:
>>
>> Thank you for the complements :)
>>

> I concur with Jim, your language skills are better than mine and I salute you
> for them. If you hang around here you might even pick up some Scots, ye ken ;)

Can I recommend the 'wee free man' and other Tiffany Aching stories by
Pratchett as another good source of (supposedly) scots?

Post a reply to this message

>> not language that was the victim. It'll rub off when they get older
>> generally (or it becomes standard spelling).
>
> Heaven forbid the latter :)
I am afraid that some of the things that were invented when I was young
to annoy the parents are indeed now standard spelling.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 16 Dec 2008 16:09:47
Message: <266gk4dnph7oratbtanovrqojk5chomdpt@4ax.com>
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 21:39:58 +0100, andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>On 16-Dec-08 18:05, Stephen wrote:
>> On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 11:19:03 -0400, Saul Luizaga <sau### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>>
>>> Last post I promise:
>>>
>>> Thank you for the complements :)
>>>

>> I concur with Jim, your language skills are better than mine and I salute you
>> for them. If you hang around here you might even pick up some Scots, ye ken ;)
>
>Can I recommend the 'wee free man' and other Tiffany Aching stories by
>Pratchett as another good source of (supposedly) scots?

Aye! Ye can.

Ya big bampot! :)
--

Regards