POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Be very very quiet Server Time
11 Sep 2024 13:11:17 EDT (-0400)
  Be very very quiet (Message 571 to 580 of 618)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Be very very quiet
Date: 26 Mar 2009 17:40:03
Message: <49cbf633$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 12:48:19 -0700, Kevin Wampler wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> And my favourite, of course - which I can't remember what it was called
>> now - is when the character runs out of ground and keeps running until
>> such time as they realise that there's nothing under them.
>>
>> It's going to bother me that I can't remember the term now.
>

> I'm pretty sure I never knew the term, but now it's going to bug me too.

LOL

I want to say it's something like "suspension of" something (not
disbelief).

I also want to say that Tex Avery coined the term in question.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 26 Mar 2009 19:47:11
Message: <49cc13ff$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> I want to say it's something like "suspension of" something (not
> disbelief).

http://orangecow.org/toon-physics.html

That's fun, but not coining terms.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 26 Mar 2009 20:34:20
Message: <49cc1f0c$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:47:09 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> I want to say it's something like "suspension of" something (not
>> disbelief).
>
> http://orangecow.org/toon-physics.html
>
> That's fun, but not coining terms.

Yeah, that's a great site.  I'm now wondering if I saw the term in a toon-
based RPG now.  Or maybe it wasn't Tex Avery, but Chuck Jones who coined
the term I'm thinking of.

Agh!  This is going to drive me NUTS!

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 20:34:20 -0400, Jim Henderson wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:47:09 -0700, Darren New wrote:
>
>> Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> I want to say it's something like "suspension of" something (not
>>> disbelief).
>>
>> http://orangecow.org/toon-physics.html
>>
>> That's fun, but not coining terms.
>
> Yeah, that's a great site.  I'm now wondering if I saw the term in a
> toon- based RPG now.  Or maybe it wasn't Tex Avery, but Chuck Jones who
> coined the term I'm thinking of.
>
> Agh!  This is going to drive me NUTS!
>
> Jim

Aha!  Found it:  The "plausible impossible" is what I'm thinking of, and
apparently Walt Disney coined the term.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 20:34:20 -0400, Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> http://orangecow.org/toon-physics.html
>>>
>>> That's fun, but not coining terms.
>> Yeah, that's a great site.  I'm now wondering if I saw the term in a
>> toon- based RPG now.  Or maybe it wasn't Tex Avery, but Chuck Jones who
>> coined the term I'm thinking of.
>>
>> Agh!  This is going to drive me NUTS!
>>
>> Jim
>
> Aha!  Found it:  The "plausible impossible" is what I'm thinking of, and
> apparently Walt Disney coined the term.

Yay!  Now I can sleep in peace.  Once it's night time of course.

Post a reply to this message