POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : XKCD is amusing for once... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  XKCD is amusing for once... (Message 41 to 49 of 49)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: XKCD is amusing for once...
Date: 20 Nov 2008 14:37:13
Message: <4925bc69$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> The London Natural History Museum also has a full-size blue whale model.
> And the lobby features a Diplodicus skeleton.

Hmmm... I'm pretty sure I was there, along with the British museum. I
don't remember the whale, so maybe not.

Also, New York has the only *actual* complete T-Rex skeleton. All the
others are plaster casts.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 20 Nov 2008 17:00:49
Message: <4925de11$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> The London Natural History Museum also has a full-size blue whale
>> model. And the lobby features a Diplodicus skeleton.
>
> Hmmm... I'm pretty sure I was there, along with the British museum. I
> don't remember the whale, so maybe not.

The blue whale is in the mammals exhibit. If you didn't visit that
particular gallery, you wouldn't have seen it. (Also, I'm not sure
precisely how long it's been there, or when you visited.)

> Also, New York has the only *actual* complete T-Rex skeleton. All the
> others are plaster casts.

The London museum has a few actual skeletons. Usually it's almost
impossible to tell what the hell you're seeing. The bone casts that have
been assembled into a life-like pose are much more interesting,
visually. (Obviously to a scientist the real thing is far more important.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/