POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : sed question Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:23:03 EDT (-0400)
  sed question (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Jim Holsenback
Subject: sed question
Date: 17 Nov 2008 09:34:20
Message: <492180ec@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I'm working on a documentation migration project that involves translating a
group of html files into MediWiki markup. I'm using an application called
Pandoc to do the bulk of the translation, however there are some
application-centric tags that Pandoc refuses to translate. These app-centric
tags are essential for producing searchable indexices later on in the
process. My idea is to enclose these app-centric tags in html comments
notation, so that Pandoc will pass them (tags) on. As comments they remain
in the file but the person viewing the docs won't see them, I can later
programmatically access those tags and process them accordingly.

 The tool I want to use is "sed" .... however I'm rusty and have been
struggling a bit.

 This sample line example shows what I need to do:

<indexentry "This part is always different>

 needs to look like this:

<!-- <indexentry "This part is always different"> -->

 the wildcarding portion of my sed statement is where I'm having
difficulties.

 sed s\%'<indexentry*'%'<!-- <indexentry* -->'%g test.html

 gives me: <!-- <indexentry* --> "This part is always different">

Close but no cigar! It's not treating the "*" as a wildcard but passing it
on. I'm not escaping it properly am I? I've tried more than several
incantations but haven't had any luck. Someone's going to take one look at
this and solve it!

Thanks Jim

Post a reply to this message

> I'm working on a documentation migration project that involves translating a
> group of html files into MediWiki markup. I'm using an application called
> Pandoc to do the bulk of the translation, however there are some
> application-centric tags that Pandoc refuses to translate. These app-centric
> tags are essential for producing searchable indexices later on in the
> process. My idea is to enclose these app-centric tags in html comments
> notation, so that Pandoc will pass them (tags) on. As comments they remain
> in the file but the person viewing the docs won't see them, I can later
> programmatically access those tags and process them accordingly.
>
>  The tool I want to use is "sed" .... however I'm rusty and have been
> struggling a bit.
>
>  This sample line example shows what I need to do:
>
> <indexentry "This part is always different>
>
>  needs to look like this:
>
> <!-- <indexentry "This part is always different"> -->
>
>  the wildcarding portion of my sed statement is where I'm having
> difficulties.
>
>  sed s\%'<indexentry*'%'<!-- <indexentry* -->'%g test.html
>
>  gives me: <!-- <indexentry* --> "This part is always different">
>
> Close but no cigar! It's not treating the "*" as a wildcard but passing it
> on. I'm not escaping it properly am I? I've tried more than several
> incantations but haven't had any luck. Someone's going to take one look at
> this and solve it!

damn!  I don't have sed available right now and it's been quite some
time since I've raged on perl regexes... :P

Post a reply to this message