POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh dear... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:24:05 EDT (-0400)
  Oh dear... (Message 11 to 20 of 130)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Oh dear...
Date: 13 Nov 2008 13:15:46
Message: <491c6ed2$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> (I really love the way it describes "small" as "less than, say, 50 GB".
> I'd like to know in which universe 50 GB can be considered "small"...)

Telecom. Finance. Multimedia. Web services. Application Service
Providers (aka "white labeling").

Generally, "small" is anywhere you don't actually need the permission
system of your database, I'd say, because what you're doing is too simple.

Note that MySql generally backs up stuff the same way - the table
structures and the rows, but none of the system tables. I guess you
either explicitly dump them separately, or you do what I did which is
that those things don't change except manually, so you already have a
record of how it's set up.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message

> (I really love the way it describes "small" as "less than, say, 50 GB".
> I'd like to know in which universe 50 GB can be considered "small"...)

Enterprise databases.
Personally I consider any database under 100GB small. Over about 700 GB is
large. Huge is over a couple TB.

Post a reply to this message

> Personally I consider any database under 100GB small. Over about 700 GB
> is large. Huge is over a couple TB.

Well, I guess Oracle is *designed* for big stuff.

So I guess to all you guys, the 1.2 GB database I'm responsible is
"microscopic" then? :-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/