POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Center of the world Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:23:21 EDT (-0400)
  Center of the world (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: Tim Cook
Subject: Re: Center of the world
Date: 13 Nov 2008 14:01:49
Message: <491c799d@news.povray.org>
news:491af9d3@news.povray.org...
> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>> http://www.xkcd.com/503/
>
>> Man, the map looks weird with America in the middle!
>
>  In Japan world maps always have Japan in the middle. It's even more
> ironic than the map in that comic. "The west", which includes America
> and Europe, is on the east on the map, and "the east", which includes
> Asia, is on the west on the map. Yes, they are known as "the western
> countries" and "the eastern countries" there in the same way as here,
> even though in their maps it's the opposite.

"Has in the middle," or placement of the boundaries of the map, has nothing
to do with demarcation of coordinates.  Greenwich, England was decided upon
as the Prime Meridian, and most modern maps use this standard reference

positioning of the map contents.  So there's really no irony.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net

Post a reply to this message